Leg Band Injury

They look about right for that age. I would definately treat as if the wound is infected. Blood flow will either improve and the leg will heal, or it won't and the foot may die off
Do you think penicillin would work on this type of injury? Antibiotics, like Baytril and Clavamox, are hard to come by around here.

my friend was able to get the bands off yesterday.
The farmer just responded to my friend and said the chicks are about 4 weeks.

I don't even know where to begin with getting the blood flow back, if at all possible.

Since the bands are off and the chicks are so young, I would definitely start with general good care-- a clean place to live, and as much water and chick starter as they want.

I would try to put the food and water where the chicks do not have to move much to eat, but allow plenty of space so they can move around if they want to.

Movement is often good for helping blood flow, but I don't know what amount is right, which is why I suggest letting the chicks choose how much.

I'm also wondering if there is an infection and/or a break. There has to be infection, at least.

From the pictures, I am not sure about either of those. It doesn't look broken to me, and I can't see why a leg band would cause a break. And I see swelling, but that does not always mean infection. Sometimes it just means tissue damage, or that blood got into the foot and couldn't get out again. (Think of a person with a sprained ankle: it swells and hurts, but has no break and no infection.)

So it might not be as bad as you fear.

I'm not good with serious injuries, but I've seen quite a few things (human and animal) that looked scary but healed well on their own. So until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I would go with clean housing, food & water, and a calm environment so the chicks can rest as much as they want.

Last edited:
I don't even know where to begin with getting the blood flow back, if at all possible. I'm also wondering if there is an infection and/or a break. There has to be infection, at least. I haven't seen the hens in person.
I would try some Arnica paint/tincture which helps with inflammation and stimulation of the blood circulation

I think I would just give them in soak in a warm epsom salts bath once a day.
If there's any skin that is broken, apply triple antibiotic ointment.
See if the swelling goes down over the course of a couple of days with the bands off and with them moving about.
If they camp out near food/water, then move the food/water around in their housing to make them move/walk just a little.

I would also give each one a direct oral dose of poultry vitamins that contain B2 (Riboflavin) Like Poultry Cell (1cc per 3 pounds of weight) OR give each one 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a few days.

Hopefully they will recover with no issues.

@NatJ You're probably right about the injuries not as bad I feel they are because I haven't been able to assess in person. I appreciate the sprain analogy; it settled my worried brain.

@LaFleche Good idea about the Arnica gel. I'll mention it to her. Maybe she is it on hand or can run out and grab some.

@Wyorp Rock I think she is planning to do daily foot soaks to help with the swelling and draw out any infection that might be in there. I do believe she did put Nutradrench in the water, but I'll suggest a direct dose. Currently, they're in a dog crate so space is limited, but I think the food is at the front and they're hanging out in the back. I'll see if she can give them a little more space.

I really appreciate all the good advice you have given.

Just wanted to give a quick update on the two chicks... No significant reduction in swelling, one is in more pain than the other. Friend reached out to her vet to see if they could treat or prescribe something - vet hasn't responded. Pretty sure there's infection in the wounds as both sides of the injuries are hot to the touch.

Would penicillin be okay to give them? It's the only antibiotic we can get access to without a script from a vet.

Back
Top Bottom