Leg Band Injury

My friend dug around her medicine cabinet and found some unexpired enrofloxacin 20mg/ml suspension and doxycycline (as calcium) 50 mg/ml suspension. She was using them to treat her pet rats.

Enrofloxacin is baytril, right? Would that work? I think I've used it for bumblefoot before,.

Actually, I think I saw something similar in TSC when I was there last week. I remember thinking that was weird, but now I get it. Clever workaround!

My friend dug around her medicine cabinet and found some unexpired enrofloxacin 20mg/ml suspension and doxycycline (as calcium) 50 mg/ml suspension. She was using them to treat her pet rats.

Enrofloxacin is baytril, right? Would that work? I think I've used it for bumblefoot before,.
A lot of times there's a work around. If you see the fish antibiotics in your store, then you may want to take a closer look;)

Yes, you are right Enrofloxacin is Baytril. That could be used to treat infection of the legs. It's banned for use in poultry, but these are youngsters, so you wouldn't have to worry about egg withdrawal periods.

We're on day three of Baytril and day eight of rescue. For both chicks there has been no significant reduction in swelling, areas on either side of the injuries are hard and hot to the touch. My friend's vet finally relented and prescribed Metacam, which my friend will start today. They are getting once daily foots soaks. Both are eating and drinking fine. Poops seem all right - a little stinky and some times runny - but could be medication so not stressing about that yet.

Photo 1: This is the larger chick. She's more active and willing to put weight on the foot. She will stand, walk, roost, and she's more stable, but it's still painful. I don't believe she has any strength or movement in her toes.

Big Chick 1.jpg

Photo 2: This is the smaller chick. She's less active and unwilling to put any weight on the foot. She will stand on her good foot when eating/drinking and she hobbles around when she does move, but she much prefers to lay down. Her toes look discolored. I suspect she might lose them.

Little Chick 1.jpg

We're on day three of Baytril and day eight of rescue. For both chicks there has been no significant reduction in swelling, areas on either side of the injuries are hard and hot to the touch. My friend's vet finally relented and prescribed Metacam, which my friend will start today. They are getting once daily foots soaks. Both are eating and drinking fine. Poops seem all right - a little stinky and some times runny - but could be medication so not stressing about that yet.

Photo 1: This is the larger chick. She's more active and willing to put weight on the foot. She will stand, walk, roost, and she's more stable, but it's still painful. I don't believe she has any strength or movement in her toes.

View attachment 2754214

Photo 2: This is the smaller chick. She's less active and unwilling to put any weight on the foot. She will stand on her good foot when eating/drinking and she hobbles around when she does move, but she much prefers to lay down. Her toes look discolored. I suspect she might lose them.

View attachment 2754215
It looks like you are doing all you can.
I agree, the toes on the less active one look a bit suspect and she may indeed lose them.

Poor little things. Please do keep us updated.

So a quick update for you and I don't think any of it is good news. I apologize in advance for the photo quality and weirdness. I'll try to have my friend send better ones tomorrow.

Big Chick Update: Photos labeled #1
Her toes on the injured leg have started curling. I don't know if that's a step toward them falling off or not, but it definitely isn't good. On top of that, her wound has opened up. It wasn't too bad, and it was mostly blood, but there was some clear fluid.

211811736_495245211573356_6231339965329501483_n.jpg 213613157_985929625575725_4954591859226531412_n.jpg 217993191_504391647502379_1326011137340787339_n.jpg

Small Chick Update: Photo labeled #2
Her toes have not curled, but her wound also exploded, but it was bad - lots of blood, lots of clear fluid.
217603741_351360299732697_8597191834332183930_n.jpg

I don't know if it's good that the wounds burst open, but at least the injuries drained and they'll be easier to flush with saline and pack with antibiotic. The vet fell thru - again. No surprise there. We're going to try to get them to my end of the state and get them into one of my two vets that will happily see chickens.

This a photo of them standing together. I couldn't tell you which is which.
206291043_542326956964101_762751614817334547_n.jpg

Oh, and the farmer had the audacity to ask for them back once they're healed, which will only happen over my dead body.

Sorry about the toes curling. There seems to be a lot more damage unfortunately. You are doing a good job helping them. Hopefully, they will still be able to get around well enough to get food and water and to live a fairly normal life.
It wasn't clear how much damage there was until this week. It's so heartbreaking the they're going thru this because someone didn't think to remove the bands.

Once the toes do whatever it is they're going to do, we'll be able to better assess their needs. I have a small coop that needs some repairs, but it could make a nice safe space for them.

So a quick update for you and I don't think any of it is good news. I apologize in advance for the photo quality and weirdness. I'll try to have my friend send better ones tomorrow.

Big Chick Update: Photos labeled #1
Her toes on the injured leg have started curling. I don't know if that's a step toward them falling off or not, but it definitely isn't good. On top of that, her wound has opened up. It wasn't too bad, and it was mostly blood, but there was some clear fluid.

View attachment 2760303 View attachment 2760304 View attachment 2760305

Small Chick Update: Photo labeled #2
Her toes have not curled, but her wound also exploded, but it was bad - lots of blood, lots of clear fluid.
View attachment 2760307

I don't know if it's good that the wounds burst open, but at least the injuries drained and they'll be easier to flush with saline and pack with antibiotic. The vet fell thru - again. No surprise there. We're going to try to get them to my end of the state and get them into one of my two vets that will happily see chickens.

This a photo of them standing together. I couldn't tell you which is which.
View attachment 2760306

Oh, and the farmer had the audacity to ask for them back once they're healed, which will only happen over my dead body.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom