Leg Band Preferences

Pounddogsrock

Chirping
Oct 18, 2018
I went to Tractor Supply to pick up leg bands. They didn’t have the spiral kind that I’ve used in the past. I bought the only style they had. It is the one that resembles a hotdog is in a bun. I fiddled with it (following directions). No way could I try to hook that on a bird. I’d be too worried I wouldn’t be able to fit the one part into the slot. I couldn’t get it to fit when sitting in the porch rocker with NO bird. There’s got to be a trick, right? I did try it sliding from the top down. It just wouldn’t catch. I hoped it was a dud! I grabbed another. Same thing. I special ordered my old fashioned spiral bands. If R2Elk tells me he can put those first kind on one handed!!! Oh, and I saw multi-colored, 4” zip ties. I bought them. My husband said, “no”, because he thought they could accidentally tighten after placement (of course I would have snipped off the excess). What’s y’all’s thought on the best leg band style when you have need for them?

I
I went to Tractor Supply to pick up leg bands. They didn’t have the spiral kind that I’ve used in the past. I bought the only style they had. It is the one that resembles a hotdog is in a bun. I fiddled with it (following directions). No way could I try to hook that on a bird. I’d be too worried I wouldn’t be able to fit the one part into the slot. I couldn’t get it to fit when sitting in the porch rocker with NO bird. There’s got to be a trick, right? I did try it sliding from the top down. It just wouldn’t catch. I hoped it was a dud! I grabbed another. Same thing. I special ordered my old fashioned spiral bands. If R2Elk tells me he can put those first kind on one handed!!! Oh, and I saw multi-colored, 4” zip ties. I bought them. My husband said, “no”, because he thought they could accidentally tighten after placement (of course I would have snipped off the excess). What’s y’all’s thought on the best leg band style when you have need for them?
mean the catch is like a hotdog/
I use 4" zipties, never had any trouble with them.
Never had one inexplicably tighten,
tho have read of it happening thinks it was rare and a fluke.

As with any leg band they must be monitored frequently.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/
Thanks, and also for the article link. I haven’t yet explored the articles tab. Super idea!

This spring two of my birds managed to loose their zip tie leg bands. How, I have no idea! They were not too tight, but wouldn't slide over the hock or foot, I thought.
The plastic spiral flat bands were often coming off, I gave up on them.
Mary

T
This spring two of my birds managed to loose their zip tie leg bands. How, I have no idea! They were not too tight, but wouldn't slide over the hock or foot, I thought.
The plastic spiral flat bands were often coming off, I gave up on them.
Mary
Thanks for the feedback🦋

Back
Top Bottom