Leg Bands for identification

Horsea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 5, 2008
Canada
I did a search here but haven't been able to find the exact info I need, namely:

How would you get those coloured spiral plastic bands onto a mature hen? Are the spirals loose enough to easily unroll and insert onto the leg? I want to find out before I order some.

In general, it seems that the various varieties of bands all have one sort of disadvantage or other. I want to band my hens so that I know who's who. For the first time in 10 years, I'll be giving them names. They all look alike at this point (6 Delawares) and 2 Rhodies.

Thanks!

This is where I get mine and they are cheap. They have a variety pack I believe with different sizes. Call or email and tell them the breeds you have and they know the size. Good luck! They are easy and painless to apply.
www.cutlersupply.com

I did a search here but haven't been able to find the exact info I need, namely:

How would you get those coloured spiral plastic bands onto a mature hen? Are the spirals loose enough to easily unroll and insert onto the leg? I want to find out before I order some.

In general, it seems that the various varieties of bands all have one sort of disadvantage or other. I want to band my hens so that I know who's who. For the first time in 10 years, I'll be giving them names. They all look alike at this point (6 Delawares) and 2 Rhodies.

Thanks!

This may be a stupid question but is there any place to get leg bands that would have your house number and street name on them? I'm in the city and I watch them very close, but you never know. I'd like to help them get home if theyy do get out of the yard

Thanks, RedRooster & St. Croix, for your helpful information. Would I be correct in assuming that since we are dealing with adult chickens here, it's a 2-person job? I know that when you lay the chicken on its back it gets more docile.

you can have them made special but it cost. Not worth it. just google personalized leg bands for poultry or something like that. I have seen them.
This may be a stupid question but is there any place to get leg bands that would have your house number and street name on them? I'm in the city and I watch them very close, but you never know. I'd like to help them get home if theyy do get out of the yard

Real easy and a single person job. I do my turkeys and geese too. EASY!
Thanks, RedRooster & St. Croix, for your helpful information. Would I be correct in assuming that since we are dealing with adult chickens here, it's a 2-person job? I know that when you lay the chicken on its back it gets more docile.

Zip ties work well also and come in all colors now.

Thanks!

I've used the spiral bands from Meyer Hatchery.
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'LB-12-ASST'
they were size 12 or 3/4 of an inch. They work well. There is 0 give in them. They do not stretch out at all. One of my bigger Barred Rock Hens had the band more tight to her leg than I would have liked. It was semi-embedded into her leg after she went from pullet to hen.

They are not super easy to get on but not too bad. First you have to spread out the spiral with a key or something. Then you can hold it open with your finger enough to wedge the leg into the opening to hold it open. Then it is just a matter of spinning the band and it rotates on. It's basically like putting keys on a spiral keychain. It would be darn near impossible to get them off. If I had to I think I would try wire trimmers.

This year I decided to just use colored zip ties. They are cheap, easy to put on, and would be easier to get off. You just have to make sure you keep enough wiggle room that they don't end up too tight.

Back
Top Bottom