Leg bands?

Pics

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
I have a general question about leg bands. I was thinking on getting some leg bands for identifying my hens. So how do I know what size to get and how do I ensure they won't harm their legs? I am really considering doing this, and I am looking at some made by Happy Hen. So an opinions or suggestions?

I've used colored zip ties, and my girls still have all of their legs. Zip ties are just like other things: the user must exercise common sense. I do visual inspection when ever I am with my flock. When ever I sell a bird, the zip is removed. No bird leaves my property with a zip tie on her leg. This might not be a good idea for the flock keeper who has multiple flocks, or hundreds of birds, but it works well for me with my flock which varies from 25 to 50 birds.

I've used colored zip ties, and my girls still have all of their legs. Zip ties are just like other things: the user must exercise common sense. I do visual inspection when ever I am with my flock. When ever I sell a bird, the zip is removed. No bird leaves my property with a zip tie on her leg. This might not be a good idea for the flock keeper who has multiple flocks, or hundreds of birds, but it works well for me with my flock which varies from 25 to 50 birds.
Agreed. There is no reason a bird would lose a leg with proper management

I did search my mind and heart for alternative ways to identify chickens..
This is a last resort if in a bind. Not very permanent/long lasting to all the other methods mentioned previously. OK for short term. :oops:
i-figured-id-try-my-hand-at-chicken-shaming-214516.jpg

You can opt for number or name.

:goodpost:
Have used colored micro zip cable ties for YEARS on end.
Never a single one ever tightened it's self or cut the circulation of on the leg.
It DOES NOT CAUSE MORE MAINTENANCE.
Chicken owners are suppose to periodically inspect your birds for mites and other parasites anyway.
We never wait for an epidemic of parasites to explode. So while we are checking the poultry for pests, A QUICK LOOK AT THE CABLE TIE.
Also right down in your records, "RED TIES ALL CHECKED for parasites on XX/XX/XXXX.
Green cable ties all treated for mites on XX/XX/XXXX.
Cable ties (micro size) come in endless colors.
We Tie a different color on ALL right legs for age.
Tie different colors on the left leg for treatments/sales etc.
ANYTHING that leaves our farm gets it's cable cut.. period. No exceptions.
We have major inventory and all have cable ties.
Not a single bad experience through out the years.

Anyone can use what they wish as far as banding is concerned. Just please don't condemn cable ties on false pretense. If used properly, they are an inexpensive solution that works.
20171103_175606.jpg
20171103_175653.jpg
20171103_175615.jpg

Is there any other method besides putting bands on legs to distinguish birds
I have 5 barred rocks that I can't tell who's who except the one who pecks me alot lol

That is exactly what I am doing this for. I have no other ideas except for banding. I have 5 barred rocks in my flock of 20 and 2 of them are aggressive to all the other hens. So to identify the 2 aggressive hens I am going to leg band all my hens. I know one for sure she is an unusually big hen compared to the rest, and she is a "big bully" but a great layer.
Other than wing bands, nothing else will work long term.

Well Update to my original post: I want to thank everyone for all the comments and assistance. I did view every one. I also weighed heavy on my options. I decided against zip ties because I have worked with them and on several occasions they tightened on there own during use, so that was that. Next I looked at a lot of leg bands on the market and decided to go with ones from Happy Hen Treats. I got 3 different sizes and was pleased with the results. My 20 hens and 2 roosters were all leg banded last night at roost time. These leg band came with a card inside that stated which size would fit each breed usually. There is always an exception to that rule. Anyway it all came out fantastic. I put color bands according to breed. (EE- green, RIR- red, Barred Rocks- yellow and Brown Leghorns-purple) plus you could write on these and I put their names on them. The band's clicked on firmly and I just tried them on for size if there was any doubt. It worked beautifully and smoothly. I guess now only time will tell how efficient they will be. Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom