Leg bands?

Pics

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
I have a general question about leg bands. I was thinking on getting some leg bands for identifying my hens. So how do I know what size to get and how do I ensure they won't harm their legs? I am really considering doing this, and I am looking at some made by Happy Hen. So an opinions or suggestions?

legband.jpg
This is the kind I got. I really didn't want to have to guess at the size I would need so these were just colored zip ties that came with different charms so I could adjust them and cut off the extra. I check once a month to make sure they aren't tight.

I've used colored zip ties, and my girls still have all of their legs. Zip ties are just like other things: the user must exercise common sense. I do visual inspection when ever I am with my flock. When ever I sell a bird, the zip is removed. No bird leaves my property with a zip tie on her leg. This might not be a good idea for the flock keeper who has multiple flocks, or hundreds of birds, but it works well for me with my flock which varies from 25 to 50 birds.

I've used colored zip ties, and my girls still have all of their legs. Zip ties are just like other things: the user must exercise common sense. I do visual inspection when ever I am with my flock. When ever I sell a bird, the zip is removed. No bird leaves my property with a zip tie on her leg. This might not be a good idea for the flock keeper who has multiple flocks, or hundreds of birds, but it works well for me with my flock which varies from 25 to 50 birds.
x2.

I haven't yet used wing bands, because they aren't visible from afar. Colored leg bands do have issues, but they work for my flock.
Zip ties need to be changed as the birds grow, because they have no 'give' and will destroy a leg if left on too long. They can be purchased with numbers on, through a poultry supply company. Nice!
Plastic numbered spiral bands are very visible, but can come off, break, or worse yet, slide up above the hock and injure the leg. I've had two cockbirds with injured legs; both treatable, but not nice.
The snap-on plastic leg bands also will break and fall off.
I haven't used the metal leg bands.
Mary

I have a general question about leg bands. I was thinking on getting some leg bands for identifying my hens. So how do I know what size to get and how do I ensure they won't harm their legs? I am really considering doing this, and I am looking at some made by Happy Hen. So an opinions or suggestions?

I do not like leg bands left on can be awful loss of leg I know, helped out a member did not know they where banded

Agreed. There is no reason a bird would lose a leg with proper management

Agreed. There is no reason a bird would lose a leg with proper management

I agree about the "Proper Management" part of your post but so few of us have the time or the energy to do proper management over and over and over again, and before long you have enough birds on your place that you can no longer keep in your head which chick came out of which mating in what year. Then it is time to just band your day old chicks once and be done with that chore for the rest of that bird's life.

Last edited:
Is there any other method besides putting bands on legs to distinguish birds
I have 5 barred rocks that I can't tell who's who except the one who pecks me alot lol

Back
Top Bottom