leg color question

Old McDonald 27

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Alabama
I posted some pics of a little cockrel that I didn't know what he was, and in the background I had pics of some OEGB BB Red pullets. Someone mentioned that since their legs where yellow they weren't pure bred. So I went out and looked at them and most of them have white legs but a couple aren't really yellow and aren't really white. They are 8-10 weeks. I looked at some that I know are full OEGB BB Red and those chicks have yellow legs and on the murray mcmurray website they have yellow legs in the chick pics. So do their legs change color?? Is it possible that they are pure and their leg color is changing?? Their legs looked much more yellow in the pic than they are in person.

I've never had OEGB, so I cannot seak to the specifics of how that breed develops; however for most breeds certain traits and colouring develops over time. Most breeders don't cull for colour that young.

The standard calls for BBR OEGB to have shanks & toes that are "white tinged with pink." No OEGB variety is listed as having yellow shanks & toes. Colour ranges from white to black with various shades of blue in between.

Back
Top Bottom