Leg Injury - Help needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kleonaptra, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

@Kleonaptra I think this is what Amiga had in mind to take weight off her leg and give her support. hp://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue61.htm

Making a Duck Wheelchair
    [​IMG]
    When preparing for Roberta duck's surgery, we had to make a post surgical wheelchair for her recovery period. We found that a simple mesh laundry sorter contained most of the parts needed to assemble a ducky wheelchair, including the mesh for making your duck's harness. The only additional parts we needed to purchase were six buckles with straps. We found both of these products at our local Walmart.
    The PVC pipes included in the laundry sorter will need to be measured and cut down to size and you will also need to do a bit of measuring, cutting and sewing to make your duck's buckled harness, which will hold them in place.
    [​IMG]

The completed wheelchair should look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a photo of our friend Lemon in her wheelchair.
    [​IMG]
    Remember: Ducks must be continually supervised while in their wheelchair. Additionally, they should only be used on flat surfaces.
    Emergency Care, Surviving a Predatory Attack
    Unfortunately, waterfowl rescue tends to include getting heart-breaking and frantic emails from pet owners whose ducks have just been the victim of a predatory attack. For those families who have not lined up their 24 hour emergency vet care, the next few hours are critical while they find one. We are not qualified vets and, quite likely, neither are you! This information is in no way a substitute for actual vet care. Your duck needs a qualified veterinarian as soon as possible. This information is only to help your duck stay alive until you can get them the help that they need. Duck’s are very resilient and will often survive a predatory attack if you can get them safely through their first few hours and get them on antibiotics relatively quickly.

How is she doing today?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, the elastic bandage system worked quite well but ended up sagging around her neck which was unacceptable. I vetwrapped her but this also came undone and was very uncomfortable for her.

Ive stitched up an actual sling. Using a piece cut from the leg of an old pair of stretch pants, (so a tube) I stitched it through the middle so I had two tubes. Through one, I threaded and stitched in a piece of elastic. With a twist, this piece of elastic holds both wings and 'crosses' in the middle of her back (a figure eight with a wing in each loop of the eight) like a sports bra. The other tube (of the original piece I stitched through the middle) holds her leg. I stitched on a belly strap,(it attaches to the other loop of the figure eight) I thought that would be stable enough but it kept slipping so I put a little strap across the chest. I simply want to keep the leg from turning backwards, because whenever she attempts to move it she ends up with the toes pointing at her tail, and cant swing it forward again. This causes her a lot of distress. She's much happier with it tucked in its natural position. She cant move as much but I think thats good.

I looked into the traction devices yesterday, wheelchairs and sling supports. I dont think anything is actually broken - there may be dislocation or nerve damage. I was watching little Stormy struggle about yesterday and thought how strange they both have nasty leg injuries with no wounds.

For now, I just want the leg supported in its natural position. I think anything that left her feet dangling would only stress her, as the left leg doesnt work right even when it has no weight on it. If it is dislocated then she might have to be completely immobilized in a pet box for a few days while it heals. Im hoping the vet will be able to simply feel it, my partner has been voicing doubts about that saying I should be able to feel it, but Im really not experienced with bones.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't know how you feel about herbs, but you might think about comfrey (making a tea and using that for a compress).

4. Kleonaptra

I'm quite into herbs, have a little garden I'm always making infusions from. Never heard if using comfrey, can I have more info in that? I'm wondering if they can have raspberry leaf or tumeric. Both have anti inflammatory, pain killing properties.

After her time outside I brought her in and took off the sling - and she can hold the leg right! Well, not exactly right, but out to the side like a crutch. Its not getting stuck backward again. This is great, I think its improvement, so I wrapped it again, but I have to leave for work soon and id rather not have her wrapped up just in case something goes wrong.

It looks like one of Leelus eggs in the Bator has quit.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You may want to verify, but as far as I know, raspberry leaf is fine for them (hope so, mine eat them off the bushes), as is turmeric. Comfrey is known as a healing herb - used topically, it promotes rapid healthy cell development. I have used it on sprains (on ducks and people). The old wisdom is that it will even help bones knit. A German study said it does increase healthy cell reproduction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  6. Kleonaptra

Hmm I will definitely look into that thanks mate! Can't believe I never thought of comfrey before.
    I'm not giving up on the little egg yet, its still nice and veiny just not moving as much as the others

7. Miss Lydia

Hope the lil egg keeps making progress and great news about the leg getting better. Injuries take time to heal so hopefully that is what is going on with rest and your TLC [​IMG].

8. Kleonaptra

I really do think the egg has quit. Only 1 of Leelus left now, the smallest one.

I had to leave Varia unwrapped today as I'm working lng hours and I didn't want her to get caught up. I think it improves greatly when its wrapped, but the lower joints and toes are starting to get swollen. This might be a good thing, indicating better blood flow, but I'll be glad to have the vets opinion. I haven't been able to feel an egg again, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

9. Miss Lydia

I hope the vet can help. So sorry about the egg. Hope the last one keeps developing . Maybe the vet can help on the egg with Varia.

10. Kleonaptra

Vet was not concerned about her being egg bound, felt nothing there.

He said to give her another 2 weeks but if there was no improvement then I knew what needed to be done. I explained about how after being strapped up the last few days she was able to use the leg a little but yesterday she was unwrapped all day so today was not as good. So, another aggressive course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory and very aggressive wrapping and strict rest. She's not happy. Hopefully a few days intensive care will bring improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by