Leg injury help.

AnseDesPoules

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
This 12 week old chick started limping badly two days ago. I’ve checked her legs and it doesn’t seem like anything is broken. I’m thinking it’s an injury since none of the other chickens have a similar issue.

I don’t have a vet nearby that will treat chickens beyond doing a float test and that’s likely not useful right now. Is there anything I can do for this chick? She’s by far the most friendly of my new chicks and I want her to live but I also don’t want her to suffer.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL46gnAVYlUv5LNYQMWzj9D70yyEhbiDJo

Feel up her leg to make sure the joints are in their proper place and not hot.
What's her diet?
Everything feels like it is in the right place when I compare sides. Nothing feels hot or looks swollen from what I can tell.

About two weeks ago she transitioned from starter feed to grower feed. We had a case of coccidiosis in our flock and we just finished the final dose of amprolium yesterday.

They get soldier fly larva as treats.

Everything feels like it is in the right place when I compare sides. Nothing feels hot or looks swollen from what I can tell.

About two weeks ago she transitioned from starter feed to grower feed. We had a case of coccidiosis in our flock and we just finished the final dose of amprolium yesterday.

They get soldier fly larva as treats.
How is your chick doing?

X2, how is your chicken doing now? It also at looks like the tendon is ruptured, or it is running on it’s hock. Injuries are very common, but we always worry a bit about Mareks disease when they are putting weight on a foot that doesn’t seem to be working.

It got progressively worse and worse until she couldn’t walk anymore. I had to put her down.

It’s too bad she was the friendliest chick I’ve ever seen. She would run over when I came and try and jump up on me like a happy puppy.

Unfortunately, since then I’ve lost a few more with similar symptoms. It seems most likely that it’s Mareks. I’ve done some reading on this site and I’m going to wait and see how this goes with the rest of my flock.

Sorry for your loss. If you are in the US, most state vets can do a necropsy on the body and test for Mareks if necessary. There also is a blood test available that you can do at home, and send in to RAL lab and some other US labs. I think U of GA does it too. Hopefully, you won’t lose any others.

Back
Top Bottom