Leg injury

If you have any NSAIDS available, that would help combat some of the inflammation occurring, and get her on the road to normality sooner. Aspirin can be given 5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
Other than that, ensure she is on soft padded grounds, and try to increase her time in cool water. In my experience soft tissue injuries generally take around two to four weeks to heal completely.
Thanks, Isaac. This is really helpful. How often should I give her the aspirin? She's about 3 kilograms -- any tips on how to dose 15 milligrams? Even a baby aspirin is 81 mg, and I don't think I'd be able to split one of those in fifths.

I haven't been pleased with her progress. The swelling remains, and is worst around her ankle. In the past few days, she has been letting the toes of the affected foot rest very lightly on the ground (she had been keep the foot tucked against her body) but I haven't seen any improvement otherwise. She is able to move the leg, but the foot itself appears limp and immobile. Her general health and vigor seem good. She's alert. She is eating well, but she has stopped laying.

I've got her isolated, and she gets time in cool water twice a day. I am wrapping the ankle with vet wrap. Beyond that (and the aspirin) I suppose it's just a question of waiting, but I don't have a lot of hope she'll improve.

Attachments

• IMG_4137.jpg
    IMG_4137.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 5
It took 6 weeks but my ducks leg healed up perfectly without a limp.
Do you recall where the break was on your duck's leg? The swelling on mine seems to be worst around the ankle; she's able to move her leg, but the foot itself is limp and immobile.

If you have any NSAIDS available, that would help combat some of the inflammation occurring, and get her on the road to normality sooner. Aspirin can be given 5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.
Other than that, ensure she is on soft padded grounds, and try to increase her time in cool water. In my experience soft tissue injuries generally take around two to four weeks to heal completely.
It's been six weeks, and not much improvement. It's happened a couple of times that she seems like she's getting better, and then she has a setback. She'll slowly get to the point that she's walking around with a severe limp, and the next day she'll be back to hopping on one leg.

The swelling went down a week or so after my initial post, and it appears as if the problem is actually with her foot, rather than her leg: the proximal toe on that foot appears to be slightly out of position. She does slightly better when the ankle is wrapped. Otherwise, she's healthy and vigorous. She's laying occasionally (the last two eggs didn't have shells).

I'll give it another week or so, I think, but unless anyone has any suggestions, I suspect she's headed for the hatchet (the nearest avian vet is an hour away and booked solid for the next month). The idea of putting her down breaks my heart, but I think I may just be prolonging her suffering at this point.

Do you recall where the break was on your duck's leg? The swelling on mine seems to be worst around the ankle; she's able to move her leg, but the foot itself is limp and immobile.
I'm so sorry I didn't see this reply.

My duck was broken about an inch above her ankle.

I'm sorry you are still having problems with her. You might consider giving her calcium. My vet recommended it to me when my duck broke her leg. Since yours is also having soft shells I'm wondering if her bones are using the calcium to heal.

Maybe try crate rest for a couple weeks if you haven't been strict about that. We did it for 6 solid weeks and it really worked.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this reply.

My duck was broken about an inch above her ankle.

I'm sorry you are still having problems with her. You might consider giving her calcium. My vet recommended it to me when my duck broke her leg. Since yours is also having soft shells I'm wondering if her bones are using the calcium to heal.

Maybe try crate rest for a couple weeks if you haven't been strict about that. We did it for 6 solid weeks and it really worked.
Thanks for the reply. We've had her in a crate at night, and in a very small outdoor pen during the day (she's been a great patient). She has access to calcium all day, so I don't think that's the issue with her eggs. It isn't that the shells are soft or thin; there are actually no shells at all, just membranes. From what I've read, that's a possible sign of stress.

Back
Top Bottom