Leg issues.....NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantyChickMom, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have a mixed bantam hen, I've had now about 8 months now.
    When I got her, she appeared to have leg mites and her nails were very long. Her legs were so bad they appeared to have "barnacle" growing from them.

I cut her nails and dipped in oil and it cleared up.
    It came back and I treated her again and cut some more off her nails.

She went broody, sat for right at 3 weeks on empty nest, and finally got off last Thursday or Friday.
    I saw she was off the nest and noticed her limping so I brought her in the house.......that's when I noticed her legs back to that crusted barnacle look again, though the barnacles didn't look as bad this time.

I am rubbing oil on her feet/legs everyday and massaging and some of the crust and growths are coming off.
    I cut her nails a little bit more too so that they are now back to a normal length.
    When this crusted stuff comes off, it seems she doesn't have any scales on her feet. On the middle toe on her right foot there seems to be a raw spot left where the stuff come off.
    My question is, Can leg mites get so bad that the scales won't come back and how can I keep this from happening again and again?
    Am I gonna have to keep oil on her feet every so often as a preventative measure since there seems to be no scales to protect the feet?

Here's a few pics,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Anybody?

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Could it be bumblefoot?

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have no experience at all, but if you feel it's mites have you cleared out everything and given it a good DE bath? I would get DE if you don't ( food grade ), and start applying it to the litter, her and some in the food. I don't use it yet, but advice on amounts would be needed. Otherwise, I really don't know what her issues would be.
    Sorry

Stephanie

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I would keep her legs oiled regular (I do my birds with baby oil) ... also ivomec Eprinex will help with some external mite issues.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    That's the result of a very severe Scaly Leg Mite infestation and you are treating it properly. With time her legs will recover but will never look "like new".
    It would be a good idea to use a pesticide dust in your nests. Seven is good, a Pyrethrin dust is ok. Some Ivermectin would work well for external parasites in general. It's expensive stuff though.
    A lot of people on these boards are pushing the use of DE as a cure for anything including cancer and dandruff but the objective science doesn't support it's magical powers. I noticed here it's being recommended by someone who hasn't even used it?

7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    poor gal!
    hope she gets better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by