Leg joint out of place?

It juts out like in this picture. I’m not sure if that’s in line or not. I’ve felt the other leg joint and comparatively it feels the same. The leg just sticks out weird.

This is a top down view. The chick is on her stomach on my palm. Her other normal leg is under her where it’s supposed to be. The other trouble leg kinda sticks out from the body almost at a 90 degree angle. I think. It’s hard to explain. I can try and get a video of her tomorrow. If that will help at all.
79D823EB-050B-40CF-9CC6-19EB0FDEE8E9.jpeg

That really looks and sounds like splay leg to me. I'd give hobbling a try. The easiest way I've found to do them is to take a strip of vet wrap or medical tape (the papery kind), cut it to a 1/4 in strip about twice as long as you want the hobble to be. The hobble should be just as wide as the chick is, to help keep the legs in the proper position. Take the strip, loop it around the first leg (press gently but firmly to seal), then around to the other leg, forming a loop on that side (press to seal again on the inside of the leg), then back to the start and press it down the length of the middle to make sure it doesn't unravel. Make sure all the ends are closed or else the chick may get the hobble caught on the bedding or else can pull it off.

They generally hate them at first and might do a lot of flopping around trying to pull their legs out, so watch them for a little to make sure they aren't hurting themselves (and if you're keeping them with the other chicks to make sure they aren't hassling them). Make a new one periodically while the problem lasts to make sure it doesn't get too tight.

I’ll definitely give the hobbling a try. I’ve never seen leg splay this bad before. I had a chick hatch with a mild case of it that I used a bandaid for. Would I be able to use the bandaid method for this chick or should I just do as you describe? I looked up some more pictures of leg splay and it does look like her leg though.

I’ll definitely give the hobbling a try. I’ve never seen leg splay this bad before. I had a chick hatch with a mild case of it that I used a bandaid for. Would I be able to use the bandaid method for this chick or should I just do as you describe? I looked up some more pictures of leg splay and it does look like her leg though.

Honestly whatever works best for you, since you're the one who has to get it on there! :)

Back
Top Bottom