Leg mites & maybe body mites??

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
Received two turkey hens yesterday 1 I know for sure has leg mites terribly.. I've read up on here about 75 post about leg mites with tons of suggestions bit none that says we tried this and it works. Anyone have a technique they used that worked??

Also I think they have body mites if that's a thing.. some people say DE then some say most definitely not. Can I just give them a bath? I would use dawn soap. I know it gets bad oils and things and of course I don't want the turkeys good oils to go away but they really need to start over. They are in bad bad shape.

One turkey just stands there with the leg mites she doesn't really wall or run around. And the brown one her feather look terrible and always pecking at her feathers like trying to pull them out.

I need something that will start working right away for the sake of these turkeys..

Attachments

• 20220405_175655.jpg
    20220405_175655.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220405_175058.jpg
    20220405_175058.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 11
Normally you can body mites on the skin, either in the night time for chicken mites, and during all times with northern fowl mites. There would be visible mites or mite droppings on the skin. Scaly leg mites are too small to see. For the body mites, permethrin garden dust or the spray is very good, and Elector PSP is a more expensive but good product. Mites hatch out every 5-7 days, so 2-3 treatments may be needed 7 days apart, along with removal of all coop bedding and treating the coop, before adding new bedding is added.

For scaly leg mites, there are a number of treatments, such as using petroleum jelly, mineral, castor or other oils to smother the mites. Initially, you might want to soak the legs in warm soapy water using a toothbrush to gently loosen the scales. Treatment for leg mites should be done once or twice weekly for a couple of months. DE is very overrated. I don’t use it, and it shouldn’t be relied upon to treat a mite infestation.

This article has some good pictures of lice and mites and how to deal with them:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Normally you can body mites on the skin, either in the night time for chicken mites, and during all times with northern fowl mites. There would be visible mites or mite droppings on the skin. Scaly leg mites are too small to see. For the body mites, permethrin garden dust or the spray is very good, and Elector PSP is a more expensive but good product. Mites hatch out every 5-7 days, so 2-3 treatments may be needed 7 days apart, along with removal of all coop bedding and treating the coop, before adding new bedding is added.

For scaly leg mites, there are a number of treatments, such as using petroleum jelly, mineral, castor or other oils to smother the mites. Initially, you might want to soak the legs in warm soapy water using a toothbrush to gently loosen the scales. Treatment for leg mites should be done once or twice weekly for a couple of months. DE is very overrated. I don’t use it, and it shouldn’t be relied upon to treat a mite infestation.

This article has some good pictures of lice and mites and how to deal with them:
Is this what I would spray on their bodies?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-090025_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-090025_Chrome.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 10

We don't have any say liquid at our stores bur we have thus stuff and says put right on the poultry.. is that stuff okay

Attachments

• 16492554590402488478230038855748.jpg
    16492554590402488478230038855748.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 11
Received two turkey hens yesterday 1 I know for sure has leg mites terribly.. I've read up on here about 75 post about leg mites with tons of suggestions bit none that says we tried this and it works. Anyone have a technique they used that worked??

Also I think they have body mites if that's a thing.. some people say DE then some say most definitely not. Can I just give them a bath? I would use dawn soap. I know it gets bad oils and things and of course I don't want the turkeys good oils to go away but they really need to start over. They are in bad bad shape.

One turkey just stands there with the leg mites she doesn't really wall or run around. And the brown one her feather look terrible and always pecking at her feathers like trying to pull them out.

I need something that will start working right away for the sake of these turkeys..
I found Nu-Stock Ointment to work better than Vaseline for treating scaly leg mites. Two treatments eliminated scaly leg mites on my turkey hen while repeated Vaseline treatments just slowed the problem down.

Back
Top Bottom