Leg mites?

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
This morning I was feeding my ladies some treats and i noticed one of my RIR girls had some rough looking scales on the front of her ankle area. Was wondering if it looks like mites or just dry scales. It's been really warm and dry here the past couple weeks. I can get better pics if needed.

Neither of the other ladies look like this. I got pics of my other RIRs legs for comparison. My australorp was not being cooperative.

These are the scales I'm concerned about.
20190829_080845.jpg
20190829_080847.jpg
20190829_080836.jpg
20190829_080858.jpg

So should I just mix some tea tree oil and a&d ointment up and get down with some good, old-fashioned chicken pedicure fun? I've also got neem oil I use for the garden. Should I spray that in my coop on the roosts? I read permethrin works best, but neem oil can work too?

We live in the woods with a lot of wild birds, and the neighbors have chickens as well, although they are a good distance from us. I just want to get anything in check before it becomes a disaster.

Give her legs a good wash with dawn dish soap before oiling? I know anything with blue dye #1 will make fleas and ticks drop off dogs. Idk if it works the same with mites.

I treat mites with ivermectin, which has a lengthy withdrawal, so hopefully someone else can comment.
If it gets worse I will go that route. I'm hoping since I noticed it early I can manage with less chemical intervention. Thanks for your help!

Can you see the mites or signs of them or are they microscopic? When my son gets home from school well get to treating the girls. He will enjoy helping with that.:thumbsup

She may just be shedding. If you're worried, just rub some vaseline on her legs. It's messy, but totally benign. Tea tree oil can be toxic if ingested. Probably not an issue in the small amount you would be using, but still, vaseline is cheap and safe.

She may just be shedding. If you're worried, just rub some vaseline on her legs. It's messy, but totally benign. Tea tree oil can be toxic if ingested. Probably not an issue in the small amount you would be using, but still, vaseline is cheap and safe.
No vaseline on hand, but I do have a&d. I use the tea tree oil incredibly diluted down in witch hazel as an ear cleaner for my dogs and a facial toner for myself. I know it can be super potent stuff. I put a bit too much oil in the witch hazel one time and boy did my face burn!

What age do they usually shed their scales? These young ladies are almost 5 months old.

I don't know what you mean by a&d. Baby oil or mineral oil will work also. It works by smothering the mites. No insecticide needed. Usually they shed about the same time as they molt, but you know, the answer with everything chicken, is it varies with the individual. Usually it's so slow that you don't even notice it.

Back
Top Bottom