Leg problem.

babyk

Hatching
May 19, 2017
Hello everyone- I have an issue with a hen that I can not figure out. I have an 8 week old Blue Cochin who is turning her foot out when trying to walk. She kind of hops while holding her foot in the air and using her shank for support but her foot is turned out. She is eating + drinking and flying up to perch, and seems to be getting around ok, but has been doing this for a few days. I do see a bit of swelling in the Hock joint (compared to the other leg) and have been giving her baby asprin, but it does not seem to be helping? I will post a video later so you can see for yourself. But any advice or treatment options would be super helpful. I think I may have stepped on her foot one day last week when feeding the birds, but I'm not sure. They swarm me at feed time and I heard a squawk but am not sure what it was. She was fine prior to this?? I'm at a loss. I checked for bumble foot and its not that. And the leg does not feel broken. What should I do??

Could you separate this one chick so it doesn't get hurt more.
Resting it may help it to heal faster.

Hello everyone- I have an issue with a hen that I can not figure out. I have an 8 week old Blue Cochin who is turning her foot out when trying to walk. She kind of hops while holding her foot in the air and using her shank for support but her foot is turned out. She is eating + drinking and flying up to perch, and seems to be getting around ok, but has been doing this for a few days. I do see a bit of swelling in the Hock joint (compared to the other leg) and have been giving her baby asprin, but it does not seem to be helping? I will post a video later so you can see for yourself. But any advice or treatment options would be super helpful. I think I may have stepped on her foot one day last week when feeding the birds, but I'm not sure. They swarm me at feed time and I heard a squawk but am not sure what it was. She was fine prior to this?? I'm at a loss. I checked for bumble foot and its not that. And the leg does not feel broken. What should I do??
I'd take her to a vet, and see if they put joint back in place, otherwise its just going to get worse. It maybe to late to fix it... ask a vet...!

Back
Top Bottom