leg problem

maytham

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
dubai
its a new thing everyday with this turkey, today i wanted them to free roam in the garden, and i noticed that as i was trying to get him out of his little run, he couldn't walk properly. he would steadily walk on his toes, lose balance, drooping wings and tail and didnt want to move, he even didnt mind that much when i touch him/carry him, not the usual. i got him a week
ago, and since then he walked fine/stood fine. i took some pictures hopefully would help.

please help, this turkey is killing me, always makes me think he's gonna die :(

UPDATE:He's really sick. ...I have no idea what's wrong... Very droopy wings and tail... Now could barely even walk, when he wants to walk he walks on his like knee or whatever and uses his wings to steady himself... Looks like he's gonna die very very soon. :(

Last edited:
Im really sorry but It does look like he'll die very soon, I had a bbw hen who had the same symptoms and she eventually didn't stand on her own. She always ate and drank normally though. I had to mercy kill her. She didn't have long anyways. She wasn't broody, she was too young.

Last edited:
ya i took him back to the shop that sold me him and said it was due to the heat, he said he'll kill him for me, or do whatever with him.
but i did get chicken instead cuz they're tougher in this heat... thanks though!!

Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
hit.gif

Turkenstein25

ya i took him back to the shop that sold me him and said it was due to the heat, he said he'll kill him for me, or do whatever with him.
but i did get chicken instead cuz they're tougher in this heat... thanks though!!
Turkeys are native to areas that are very hot.
I think he is just saying its the heat to cover his *** so you can't say he sold you a sick bird.

I think he is just saying its the heat to cover his *** so you can't say he sold you a sick bird.

Turkeys are not native to areas that are hot...don't know where you got that information. This map shows the distribution of wild (not domestic) Meleagris gallopavo. I don't know about you, but I don't consider the Northeast and Midwest hot... especially if you live there and know what winters are like.

I do agree that you were sold a sick bird, Maytham. That turkey clearly looked unwell in the pictures. Moves can cause stress, but the turkey as likely already doing poorly before it left, and that pushed him over the edge.

Turkeys are not native to areas that are hot...don't know where you got that information. This map shows the distribution of wild (not domestic) Meleagris gallopavo. I don't know about you, but I don't consider the Northeast and Midwest hot... especially if you live there and know what winters are like.

I do agree that you were sold a sick bird, Maytham. That turkey clearly looked unwell in the pictures. Moves can cause stress, but the turkey as likely already doing poorly before it left, and that pushed him over the edge.

Yeah, I'd not want to be a BBW in Dubai but, in Maytham's second shot there is a turkey standing behind the afflicted fella - wonder how it's doing? I would also guess that some other stress was weighing on the poor guy. However, even in the U.S, heat has taken out good portions of outdoor flocks of commercials (out behind of Palmdale, CA, in the 1960's, for instance).
Even the Gould's stick to the mountains: http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/history_gould_wild_turkey.html The Ocellata's range is further South, but it lives in the jungle.

Back
Top Bottom