Leg problems/Niacin Deficiency? Help!

Remi-Finn-mom

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
Kansas
I have two 12-week old Pekin ducks I got from our local swap meet. My male, Finn, has always thrived and done well. My female, Remi, has seem to always have problems. When she was a few weeks old i started her on Niacin capsules because her legs started to cross. I seen improvement pretty fast. She's always been on the smaller side compared to Finn. About a week ago i found Remi unable to walk. She would move around using her beak and wings, its really sad to watch. Two days ago I realized i got flush-free niacin and i was so mad at myself. I then proceeded to buy vitamin B12 and shes been on it a couple days not with little improvement. It doesnt seem to hurt her and she isnt fazed by me touching her legs but idk what caused it or what to do? Last resort ill take her to a vet but i dont want to if I dont HAVE to. I even had her right leg splinted for a while but she wont walk on it. If it is a niacin problem is it too late for her?

Are you in the USA? If so head to Tractor Supply and get some B-complex. YOu'll find it in the cattle dept. It says injectable but put 1 ml over something you know she will eat right up and get all of the vitamin like meal worms, tomatoes, watermelon, whatever you know she loves for a treat. Here is a picture of the bottle. Same stuff different labels.
IMG_0251.JPG

You could also order some nutritional yeast flakes from amazon. I find not many store in my area carry it. Mix 1 TBL per cup of food. It's got lots of niacin in it. Don't worry about giving too much either becasuse what they don't need they will pee out.

Could you post some pictures of her? @Miss Lydia and @casportpony always know what to do too so I'm sure they'll be on here soon.

I can get pictures of her/her legs later. But i just went out there to check on her and i noticed when she tried to walk her Right leg goes over her wing. Its hard to describe. She spreads her wings out when she "walks" and she pretty much just steps on her right wing.

In this picture the one standing is Finn and the one sitting is Remi
Snapchat-1213092197.jpg

:goodpost:
Are you in the USA? If so head to Tractor Supply and get some B-complex. YOu'll find it in the cattle dept. It says injectable but put 1 ml over something you know she will eat right up and get all of the vitamin like meal worms, tomatoes, watermelon, whatever you know she loves for a treat. Here is a picture of the bottle. Same stuff different labels.
View attachment 1852579
You could also order some nutritional yeast flakes from amazon. I find not many store in my area carry it. Mix 1 TBL per cup of food. It's got lots of niacin in it. Don't worry about giving too much either becasuse what they don't need they will pee out.

Could you post some pictures of her? @Miss Lydia and @casportpony always know what to do too so I'm sure they'll be on here soon.

SHE IS WALKING! A little wobbly but she is on her feet! I started her on the B12 the other day so maybe that was it bc I just stared her on B-complex and another niacin-rich tablet today!

For future, do i always give this medicine(s) to her or just until shes better??

B12 is called the feel good vitamin so of course that helped but the niacin in the liquid b complex along with the b12 is really going to get her back up and going. So use the liquid at least a week after she is totally going strong then keep the ret in the frig and start her on Nutritional yeast 1 Tablespoon per cup of feed. Congrats on seeing great improvement already!!

Struggling again.. Still giving her all the medicine and all that. She walks pretty good other than her right foot is kind of scrumched up. I dont know a better way to describe it. She also spreads her wings to walk like she needs them to balance. I read somewhere once that someone put human bunion pads between duck toes. Think that will work? I dont want her like this forever

You can actually by duck shoes, I bought from Crazy K farm in Texas. On line. They will keep her foot in proper position so it will hopefully eventually stay that way. And they can swim in them. You can make something out of a plastic butter bowl cut to size of foot and wrap in vet tape but to me the shoes are well worth the money and can be used over an over.

Back
Top Bottom