Leg problems

Waddles22

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
I have a 4week old duckling with leg problems. Lucky was born with the yolk sac still attached, it fell off on its own and seemed to be doing fine. He was good for about 2 weeks, then I noticed he was wobbling a little when he walked. He looked like he was walking on his knees(not sure what you call them) and his legs were bowed. I did some research and realized he wasn’t getting enough niacin so I increased it. Seemed to get a little better but it looks like his hips might be sticking out a little bit.
I was wondering if it might be from hatching too soon and can’t be fixed or if maybe I should try taping his legs. Any input would be appreciated.
Will upload a picture when I can get a good one

Many use it over treats you just have to make sure not to give more treats than he'll eat so he gets full dose. Just be very careful giving it orally that it goes down the right hole.
I bet your DD is in love, I sure hope the little one responds.
Lucky loves peas so I actually injected them with the B complex and he ate all of them out of my hand 😊

@Waddles22 don't give up hope. Sometimes things can look bleak but hopefully, a vet can help. That first link I gave you about Niacin deficiency gives a lot of good info on the liquid B complex and which ones are best. If the duckling is eating good putting the liquid B over a small amount of treat can get the whole dose into him. He needs the whole dose. for it to make a difference. Please let us know how he is doing and if we can help or just offer support we're here.

I would try to get in contact with a local veterinarian familiar with poultry and hear out what their suggestions might be. Physical manipulation/fixator or surgical correction may be needed going off on how progressed the joint is at this point.
If none of those options are deemed feasible the bird may be a candidate for euthanasia although I would not pass over the options mentioned above as they can have great success.

Since the duckling was born without a fully-absorbed yolk sac there is a risk of an ongoing vitamin/mineral deficiency. Many can predispose the bird to musculoskeletal deformations such as niacin, calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus.
In addition with B Complex, I would consider a poultry vitamin product to help potentially address some of these issues.
You've received great advice for Miss Lydia and Qautie - Best of luck.

You can certainly add it to treats if that works best.
I would probably do it sparingly as too much will likely cause him not to eat the treats.
I think I’m going to try giving it orally again and if he doesn’t get the whole dose I’ll put the rest on the treats. Not giving up yet, my 9yr old daughter watched him hatch and would be devastated so I’m going to try everything I can

I don’t want to be too optimistic but I think Lucky has already improved. His leg is still turned in a little but not as bad as it was and he seems a little stronger 😊

Back
Top Bottom