leg weakness and now head & body spasms

Jupulupie

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2019
Upper Main Arm, NSW, 2482, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, Mavis, our little Isa Brown hen, has been unable to walk now for 6 weeks. She is nearly 4 years old and this seems typical of the EYP - egg yolk periontitis as most common death for these high egg producing hens. While most of the hens with EYP don't get the leg weakness, it is a symptom of this disease. She's been great in her health, good poos, talking, happy, eating, for this last 6 weeks, just not walking. In the last week she started standing quite well so was improving. However in the last 2 days her poo became watery, and last night, she started getting head tremors frequently, body spasms less frequently and more laboured breathing. I'm thinking that because she was getting better, her body tried to start producing again and this set off more symptoms, however I cannot find any research linking the head and body tremors to EYP. I've looked at many other possible diseases from myotoxicosis, Avian Encephalomyelitis, Encephalomalacia and more. Have been able to rule out other common diseases like Mareks etc. Has anyone had a hen with a similar history and any suggestions as to more reading material I can review or advice? Thank you so much. Julie.

Attachments

• 2019-12-07 08.54.21.jpg
    2019-12-07 08.54.21.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your lame hen. Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last few months? It is hard to rule out Mareks since it causes different symptoms in each bird. I would give a poultry vitamin with B vitamins, plus some extra vitamin E for the neurological symptoms. 400 IU of E daily would be safe. It really is hard to know for sure what is wrong sometimes until a necropsy is performed after they die. We can guess and try to rule out certain things, but even with vet care, it is hard to diagnose a sick chicken. It is a good sign that she is standing now. I would keep giving her supportive care. A chicken sling might be something to try if she will tolerate it and not ge t out of it. Has she lost any weight lately?

I nursed a chicken for 5 weeks last year who could not balance or walk without falling backward or sideways. After that she got out of her basket and has been walking for 8 months all over out yard. I suspected a reproductive disorder or infection, putting pressure on leg nerves or something with her brain or inner ear. She was vaccinated for Mareks, but we never knew her problem.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your lame hen. Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last few months? It is hard to rule out Mareks since it causes different symptoms in each bird. I would give a poultry vitamin with B vitamins, plus some extra vitamin E for the neurological symptoms. 400 IU of E daily would be safe. It really is hard to know for sure what is wrong sometimes until a necropsy is performed after they die. We can guess and try to rule out certain things, but even with vet care, it is hard to diagnose a sick chicken. It is a good sign that she is standing now. I would keep giving her supportive care. A chicken sling might be something to try if she will tolerate it and not ge t out of it. Has she lost any weight lately?

I nursed a chicken for 5 weeks last year who could not balance or walk without falling backward or sideways. After that she got out of her basket and has been walking for 8 months all over out yard. I suspected a reproductive disorder or infection, putting pressure on leg nerves or something with her brain or inner ear. She was vaccinated for Mareks, but we never knew her problem.

Hello, I found the thread. Thankyou. Yes, you're right, can't entirely rule out Mareks however I don't think likely as no new birds introduced & no others hens unwell in this way. Spot on about the vitamin E, thank you. I'll buy it today. Have the vit b & have been giving. I feel it's her reproductive system failing & the toxins that build up but open to consider all options. Today I'm given her an activated charcoal & tissue salts crop feed, as can help remove toxins. It's all worth a try. I really appreciate your help.

Keep us updated on how Mavis is getting along. I have had quite a fee hens with reproductive problems, and they can have so many other things going on as well. I would check her crop to see that it is emptying overnight. It should be empty, but if it is full and hard or puffy, there may be a crop disorder. Also feel of her lower belly between her legs, to see if it is enlarged, spongy or tight. Ascites or fluid in the abdomen is frequently a side effect of EYP. Hopefully she will get over this, and live some more months or years.

Back
Top Bottom