1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Legal Elimination of Hawks and Owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MayberrySaint, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Lettledarlin

Lettledarlin New Egg

Jun 24, 2015
    I agree! I just had a hawk after my chickens for the second time, today. He had one hen down but took off when I started yelling and running towards him. There will not be a 3rd time. Once more and he is gone bye bye...

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

You will be the one going bye-bye, as in behind bars. You will also charged a modest fee. If you cannot keep losses down to acceptable level in a free-range setting, then confine the flock.

3 people like this.
  3. jnr005

jnr005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    So today I came home and went to visit the chickens. Was doing my thing and cleaning the pen when I heard rustling in the yard by the fence. Thought it was a large groundhog but went to check it out. Turns out it was a huge hawk. I ran at it to scare it and it wouldnt move. Realized at this time one of my roosters was torn to shreds in the yard. Also realized he must have gave it all it was worth bc that hawk couldn't fly, it was injured. Needless to say, the hawk didn't get vet care, more like end of life care. First hawk we have had since we got them this last spring.

4. lgyure85

lgyure85 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN

Many birds of prey are migratory birds, protected by the LACEY Act, and the MBTA. Migratory bird treaty is a North American treaty, and not just a law in the US.

5. lgyure85

May 7, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN

I'll be sending this post to Fish and Wildlife, fyi.

6. lgyure85

May 7, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN

Unreal? Seriously? You fill your yard with unprotected prey animals. Keep them covered and penned, or don't keep chickens at all, but to be mad that you have to "deal" with native animals is ridiculous. Have you ever seen and bird whose legs were chewed off by a rat, because there were no raptors? I have.

We are animals just like the rest, and need to quit thinking that we can mold every little part of our environment to eliminate any discomfort or inconvenience.

7. lgyure85

May 7, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by