Legal Elimination of Hawks and Owls

Bottom line.....we need to get legislation in to 1- allow protection to pets and live stock to include killing and trapping on ones own property. 2- In Europe, they have hunting seasons cause folks eat them. So having a legal season works as well to make them skittish. Barred Owl took my Cochin mix rooster and only ate the head and neck 'cause Interupted it responding to the screams . Coopers hawk killed a pigeon IN a cage even though it wouldnt be able to get it through to eat. Had leg full length into the cage and only let go when I ran at it. pigeon still died. Prob. same bird or mate, took a pigeon in front of wife one morning, and let it go only when she threw a flip flop at it! The pigeon flew INTO the kitchen as I came out of the door to see what the commotion was about. I have pic of barred owl sitting on a cage on my deck, trying to get to pigeons in a cage as well. Standing in the yard a few months ago the coopers showed up in a tree over the coop with me standing there. Had 5- count them - 5 fledglings with them !!!! Showing them where the grocery store is, I figger ! So they are tuff, tenacious, hungry, fearless critters and they are - NOT - endangered. Anyone know how to get an amendment to current law?

I, as a free-range chicken for some time, will vote and lobby against such an effort. Invest more and use common sense when protecting your poultry.

The Klinget Indians and Eskimo cultures in Canada & Alaska routinely set steel traps on the top of stickups or post because owls perch on the highest places. Besides these First Nations and the Native American peoples swear that Great Horned Owls taste just like chicken.
:drool
They can by the law for religious use if memory serves me correct. Even tho we are all native born citizens, they are special ones. Same for polar bears. An eskimo can kill a polar bear and use the parts for traditional uses what ever that means. Non eskimos cant. Even if you live there,married to an skimo your kids and spouse can do it, but you cant. BUT---alaska allows snowy owls to be taken for food?

do so, but eventually i feel you should loose. I support you not eliminating habituated poult feeders. But we shouldnt have to take off our shoes and thro them at a hawk that zipsright by you and takes a bird. You should be able to have the OPTION to do so. As a former raptor rehaber, I enjoy them as well. Especially when they land on the coops or trees around them. this disrupts the birds into not laying and not coming out even under fenced areas. So resident feeders need culled. I can take bobcats coyotes coons etc. So there is no difference and no longer endangered.

The shooting sport called "SKEET" is in fact an acronym that stands for Stop Killing Every Eatable Thrush. No one, especially myself advocates offing every owl, or harming each and every hawk. However as someone who has watched hawk behavior change since the 1950s you can bet the farm that raptor behavior has evolved (and not for the better) especially in relation to mankind and our poultry.

... An eskimo can kill a polar bear...

If you are a non-native American person and you have a desire to shoot a polley bear then apply to Canada for a non-resident Polar Bear license. In fact during the last 40 years the Polar bear populations have increased by up to 300%. Personally I suspect that the Koch Brothers holding the Polars' heads under water and trying to drown them has backed fired, and that Polar bears today are more fertile and horny than ever.

Why is this not coming from biologist?
The county game warden was out in the forest preserve adjacent to my property.. he was cutting through my property and since I didn't know who he was I was going to stop him. When I seen who it was we chatted (never a good idea to anger the game warden LOL) He said that the hawk, coyote population was too large county wide, but the squirrel and deer population was about right in this preserve (has been good hunting on my property).... they have been culling deer in the forest preserves to the east of me 8 miles away.. and rabbits were low area wide.
They do aerial surveys since the CWD is around... , mainly for deer but the note others too.

Back
Top Bottom