Legal issues with selling meat birds as far as making someone sick ???

In order to sue you, the individual would have to prove that the chicken or whatever he got from you is what made him sick. Not easy to do.

To fully protect you, incorporate the butchering operation separate from your personal or business assets. The limiting factor here would be insurance or personal assets in amounts that would entice a LAWYER to take the case. Probably the best deterrent is a lack of assets and/or insurance to cover any judgment against you.

These cases are hard to prove (as someone else said above) and costly to pursue—these being the second and third reason why it probably won’t happen.

But, the best defense is to butcher/handle under the best possible sanitary conditions.

Well,
Joel Salatin would say to sell your birds LIVE (as someone else eluded to prior) and then offer free butchering!!! to your clients. On a small scale, you will have a case (may not win) in court that you just sold them a live chicken. They followed up by asking you to process for them as a favor.

If you are butchering other folks birds, you will need to dive in further. General liability ins. is always recommended and does not cost much. However, I would assume that the insurance agent writing the file will want to see good history with you as a worker of a butcher shop/experience/and possibly a USDA inspection id etc-- shop around, you may find an insurance company with easier qualifications and just want your yearly fee. Most biz insurance for $1mil umbrella (low coverage) is $500 per year depending on line of work. I have not received a quote for livestock/butchering/meat sales though.

Yeah, I think I may get a qoute for umberalla I have a pretty expensive bull and herd and we have a little over 400 acres to keep safe.

Quote:
A million dollar liability insurance that covers anything from me selling at markets, restaurants, or at the farm, along with people visiting the farm cost around $1200 a year which also included house insurance.

It's a relatively cheap investment.

My husbands shop is an LLC that means Limited Liability Company, if someone sued the shop our personal assetts would be safe as the shop is it's own entity. Our accountant told us to do the same with the chickens once I start selling them next year.

Back
Top Bottom