legbars: what is their sex?

greengravy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Day old legbar chicks, not sure what they are. I thought it was supposed to be easy to tell them apart.
idunno.gif
One is dark colored with a head spot & the other has a very small head spot but a little bit of markings on the eyes, but no stripe along the body. Neither is as light as I thought the males should be, so I was hoping they aren't both males.

These are interesting babies. Whoever is breeding them is not tightly controlling their breeding program, and is losing the autosexing feature of the breed.

The lefthand one is absolutely a male. The righthand one has coloration features of both male and female. However, she's dark enough that I'd hazard a bet that it's a girl.

wow, I wasn't the only one that thought their coloring was not typical of what I would expect for legbar chicks. Thank you guys for your responses.

Here is a photo of the 7 eggs they came from. They are a beautiful blue/aqua. The other eggs are easter egger eggs that I put there for color comparison. In total, 3 chicks hatched out of the 7 eggs. 2 of the eggs had loose air sacks so I had to throw those away even after trying them for a week. The 3rd chick that was not pictured came out of it's egg after I posted the thread. It looks just like the other darker chick that some of you guys think could be a female.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom