Okay, then she's probably doing the same thing that my cochin bantam does. She has an obsession with sitting on eggs, and she'll act broody when she's sitting on them. But as soon as I take the eggs away, she gets up and acts completely normal.
okay, thank you for the information! I'll keep an eye on her to see what happens.

Hello HappyClucker7, thanks for your reply! she does shriek at me when I come close to her, she does puff up her feathers a little, but she does not make a "tuk" noise. She also bites my finger like 10 times when i try to touch/come close to her. What do you mean by does she "pancake" on the ground?
Some of my EEs do that. They puff up and scream. They never went broody, its just them not wanting to be disturbed. I figured she doesnt lay at midnight 🤣🤣

Some of my EEs do that. They puff up and scream. They never went broody, its just them not wanting to be disturbed. I figured she doesnt lay at midnight 🤣🤣
haha!! If they were laying eggs, they would obviously not want to be disturbed, but my leghorn is not laying eggs (she laid an egg already like 5 hours ago) she is sitting on them so why would she randomly just sit in the nest box not wanting to be disturbed??!! If you could explain more, it would help sorry.

She doesn't look broody to me either. Possibly thinking about it but most chickens complain to some degree if molested while on the nest.
This is a pancake hen.
IMG_20210731_203052278.jpg

haha!! If they were laying eggs, they would obviously not want to be disturbed, but my leghorn is not laying eggs (she laid an egg already like 5 hours ago) she is sitting on them so why would she randomly just sit in the nest box not wanting to be disturbed??!! If you could explain more, it would help sorry.
My hens like to lay and just settle on the nest. Its comfortable. Thats the main reason why they take 40 minutes just to get out of the nesting box

Some of my EEs do that. They puff up and scream. They never went broody, its just them not wanting to be disturbed.
Yes, even non broody birds may fuss when you mess with them on the nest.
Many birds will lounge in the nest before and after laying.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Yes, even non broody birds may fuss when you mess with them on the nest.
Many birds will lounge in the nest before and after laying.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Hello aart, thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom