Leghorn Hen EXTREMELY Vocal - Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarchandPeeps, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MarchandPeeps

MarchandPeeps In the Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    This is our first experience with chickens, and our 2 girls are going to be laying any day now (we have no roo). Our Leghorn has a bright red comb and has started squatting.
    However, she has also started vocalizing loudly, for a large part of the day. Our chickens free-range, and I have a hunch that our city does not exactly allow backyard chickens. With all the noise, I'm worried the neighbors will complain, and I'll have to give them up.
    Will she stop making so much noise once she starts laying? Or will she always be this loud?

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chirping

Mar 3, 2011
    leghorns are like that and there is no way to stop it i have had leghorns for a few years and the squack all the time and they never stop

Pork Pie likes this.
  3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sounds like she is warming up the ol' egg song which meams you will be getting eggs soon.
    Hens vary per individual on the loudness and duration of their egg songs.

4. MarchandPeeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    I sure hope it's the egg song, and that she will tone it down once she starts laying. Because if she keeps it up like you say leghorns do, I think I'm in for trouble with the city [​IMG]

5. chickenaddictntn

chickenaddictntn Chirping

Feb 1, 2011
    Minorcas do this also mabe it's a "white egg layer thing" [​IMG]
    (say that 5 times fast)

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    From everything I have read, it's more of a white-feathered breed thing. They're more high-strung and flightier and vocalize more in general. She may settle down and may not- you'll just have to wait and see.

7. obaan1

obaan1 Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    You can always trade her in for a different model. I wouldn't give up on keeping "illegal" chickens. That's no fun. I have two dozen hiding in plain sight right now.

8. MarchandPeeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    Exciting news!! She was actually doing the egg song, and we got our very first egg today! I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself : )

Hopefully now she'll reserve the singing just for egg-laying time, instead of all day long!

9. jasonm11

jasonm11 Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Its not a COLOR thing, all my chickens do it. RIR, EE, Marans, BO, Ausalorp,

10. MarchandPeeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    Has anyone ever had the neighbors complain about the rukus?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: