Leghorn hen has been laying shell-less eggs for two weeks

Gleefuul1e12

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
Before I get started, let me just say that it's not a life threatening issue, I'm just wanting to pick your brains. I'm pretty sure my girl either has egg drop syndrome or a faulty shell gland.
She's a three year old leghorn hen. She has been laying one egg a day except when she's molting. Even then, she only took a break for like three days at the most. She also doesn't stop laying in the winter month's. Maybe she'll lay 5 eggs instead of 7 per week, but she keeps on going. She has had this issue in the past, but she only laid a soft shell egg (egg without a hard outer shell, just the inner membrane, I believe they're called rubber eggs) every six months or so. Just one, and always at night time.
Starting May 10, she laid one normal egg in the morning and one soft shelled in the evening. On May 13 she started laying only one shoft shelled egg in the evening. In the morning she goes to the nest, sits for a bit and then sings the egg song, without laying. On May 18 and 19 she laid two very thin shelled normal eggs, then on May 20 no egg and from May 21, again, shoft shelled eggs in the evening.
She behaves normally, is absolutely perfect like always, no change in the environment, no stress, no molt. All hens eat a balanced layer feed, and have extra crushed eggshells on the side to munch on whenever they want. They free range all day.
Since all this started I have been giving her 1 tbsp of crushed eggshells in 2 tbsp of yogurt and extra calcium in her water. So if anything, her eggs should have been normal with calcium deposits on the outside of the shell.
Which is why I'm thinking it's a shell gland issue or egg drop syndrome. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will this go on until she stops laying? Will it go away on its own? Is it a leghorn issue? (I should add that she's my only leghorn, I've never had any other of this breed.) I'm aware that they're heavy layers but can't find if they're prone to this anywhere. She's my favourite for personal reasons and I don't care one bit if she never lays an egg ever again, I just want her to be healthy.
I should note that I don't have access to an aviary vet with chicken knowledge. In my country you would be considered a lunatic to want to take your hen to a vet.
Appreciate all your thoughts and input in this matter! (Also, English isn't my first language so if anything doesn't make sense, just ask me for clarification.)

Last edited:
Try adding oyster shells. Crushed eggshells are okay, but they move through the body pretty quickly where oyster shells don't and the calcium is available for a longer period of time.

She seems to be laying more eggs than her metabolism is able to take up the calcium provided so far.

Try helping her by administering a daily tablet of calcium citrate 600+D3 to help with buildi g proper eggshells again and replenish her calcium reserve. Adding a bit of vitamin C will help with the uptake.
You can give her the extra calcium for several consecutive days and see if it helps.

The issue of soft-shelled eggs can become dangerous for the hen as a rupture inside the oviduct often leads to severe infection.

I would use the calcium citrate with D3 for 7 days to see if it makes a difference. She may have salpingitis or another oviduct issue. The danger of shell-less eggs is that they can become egg bound. I had a hen hurt by a dog once, and she laid shell-less or very thin eggs after that.

She seems to be laying more eggs than her metabolism is able to take up the calcium provided so far.

Try helping her by administering a daily tablet of calcium citrate 600+D3 to help with buildi g proper eggshells again and replenish her calcium reserve. Adding a bit of vitamin C will help with the uptake.
You can give her the extra calcium for several consecutive days and see if it helps.

The issue of soft-shelled eggs can become dangerous for the hen as a rupture inside the oviduct often leads to severe infection.
How should I administer it? In water or a bit in a syringe? How much is the dose and for how long?

Grab her from the roost at night and sit her on your lap her head facing front.
Then grab her wattles wirh one habd and tug down until she opens her beak.
Immediately slip the tablet inside her beak with your other hand and let go of her wattles so sge can swallow.

If she is nervous being handled, bundle her up in a towel with just the head sticking out prior to administering the tablet.

How should I administer it? In water or a bit in a syringe? How much is the dose and for how long?
If she's fairly easy to handle you can do it in day time too, just hold her down in place (I basically squat on top of them), pry open the beak with one hand, and use other hand to stuff in the tablet, whole. They can very easily swallow something the size of a human pill.

1 tablet a day and I'd go for 7-10 days, see if there's any improvement by that point, and report back.

For anyone who is interested or facing the same problem: I have determined that she most likely has Egg Drop Syndrome '76 or EDS '76.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a vet.
After being very puzzled (even after giving her calcium citrate +D3, there was very little to no improvement to her eggs and absolutely none other symptoms - she is as healthy as can be) I dug a but deeper and found this article https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...-drop-syndrome-’76#Clinical-Findings_v3343850. It's recent, from 2022 so it's up to date.

The clinical diagnosis for EDS '76 is exactly the production of poor quality eggs, shoft shelled, wrinkled or no shell at all, with no change in the quality of the yolk and egg white and no other symptoms. The way to differentiate from avian influenza and Newcastle disease is the absence of illness, and from bronchitis is the absence of respiratory symptoms, malformed eggs and also the lack of poor internal egg quality. Transient mild signs of depression, mild diarrhea or both may also be present, which they are.

Unfortunately there is no cure, the only way to prevent this is by vaccinating in advance. Usually the egg production returns to normal. Also, I would love to have a lab test done to confirm this, but there is no chance to have one here.

Back
Top Bottom