Sit'n on the porch

Pics
I have 5 little leghorns and 5 little brown hens. The brown ones are more assertive at getting snacks and treats. The leghorns don't like cold much so they like to huddle up more in the house on grey days (and gosh in the winter they want to hang around the heat lamp I put outside in a draft free place) so I take those opportunities to give them extra treats that the brown hens don't see because they are outside.

I have one LH whose egg shells are fragile lately, so I got some calcium citrate powder (I am not good at putting pills inside some little creature's mouth) and I added some to the food. The shells are coming back to normal. (there is a bowl of oyster shell calcium inside the house and one in the run) I will have to get brave and start checking vents this week. It seems so rude to be checking the vagina of another female, chicken or not. (yeah, I am over thinking their need for privacy) I was reading what happens when they have issues with soft shells breaking inside them, so I know I have to do it and figure out who it is that is soft-shelling-laying. They are so good at sneaking around and covering each other's eggs for a little egg-nap that I have a hard time telling who is laying which egg. I am too soft hearted, I leave eggs in over night so that they sleep on them. It is so cute to have them spread out like that, and they are so happy when they do it.

Their tender little hearts make mine all warm and happy. My spouse thinks I am nuts about the little girls. (but he understands me, and he is tender too) I literally go out at night sometimes to check on them through the henhouse window. Watch them sleeping... see who is walking around eating at night (the lowest order girls tend to eat when the others are asleep, so I leave food overnight.
AWwwwww! it sound like you have a great time with them!

AWwwwww! it sound like you have a great time with them!
yes, I love the little girls...

I just wish there were no pesky limits to roosters in my area, and the limit to 8 hens (yeah, I have 10, but if anyone asks, I will need to have two of them hide, but considering how easy it is to convince a little white hen to hide in the dust-bath, I think I can pull that off.) I would love to have a bigger flock of them, but we'll have to move. Maybe in a few years...

yes, I love the little girls...

I just wish there were no pesky limits to roosters in my area, and the limit to 8 hens (yeah, I have 10, but if anyone asks, I will need to have two of them hide, but considering how easy it is to convince a little white hen to hide in the dust-bath, I think I can pull that off.) I would love to have a bigger flock of them, but we'll have to move. Maybe in a few years...
Sounds like a wonderful little flock. 👍

https://www.butchartgardens.com/restaurant/the-dining-room/
I love the gardens here, I would love to go walk today--but............... well you know
So, https://www.butchartgardens.com/
We'll just look
Spring-78-1280x853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom