Leghorn hybrids breeding

IF they are brown leghorns and you breed them, you'll get brown leghorns. Brown leghorns aren't hybrids, they are an actual breed. The breed is leghorn, the variety is brown.
I'd call them and ask them to clarify.

I took a look and they are not brown leghorns.
They clearly state that they're a hybrid and lay brown eggs.
You will not get leghorns from breeding these.

The page is confusing to me. The 'white leghorns' says they lay white eggs. The 'brown leghorns' say they lay brown shelled eggs. I'm assuming that the 'brown leghorn' is a red sexlink. They have both the white and the brown listed as hybrids. I'm not sure why they are calling them leghorns if they are mixes. So if you breed them you will end up with mixes, not leghorns.

All leghorns lay white eggs regardless of variety. They could be white, black, light brown, dark brown, barred, exchequer, buff, buff Columbian, Columbian, silver, red, black-tailed red or whatever - but they are still leghorns and the egg shells will still be white.
Britain recognizes 18 color varieties, but all their eggs are still white.
I would be reluctant to buy birds from a company with so little knowledge of breeds - especially the breeds they are selling.

Last edited:
The "brown leghorns" are clearly not leghorns by the description and by the pics.
The white leghorns are commercial strain which are a mix of different lines of leghorns. A lot of places call them hybrids because of the specific lines they cross to make them.
They use a formula simular to how the Cornish Xs are made.
They believe they out produce standard white leghorns and calling them hybrids is a way they think we'll distinguish the difference from the plain old hatchery whites.
I don't have issue myself with the whites being labeled as white leghorns or hybrids but their whole brown leghorn deal seems to show some ignorance on their part and would steer me away from any purchases from them.
But that's just my opinion.

'normal leghorns or worse'?
are you expecting demons?
I meant rate of laying. The purpose of the hybrids in this case is probably even better laying than straight leghorn, since hybrids don't reproduce true what will I get at least standard Leghorn in terms of laying?

Back
Top Bottom