Leghorn or Cornish cross… or other

Megwags

Hatching
Mar 14, 2024
I got three chicks at TSC as “leghorn pullets”, the same day I got three TIR pullets. The “leghorns” are now twice as big as the RIR and I’m worried they were actually meat birds. I purchased them one week ago. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3733.jpeg
    IMG_3733.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 16
I got three chicks at TSC as “leghorn pullets”, the same day I got three TIR pullets. The “leghorns” are now twice as big as the RIR and I’m worried they were actually meat birds. I purchased them one week ago. Thoughts?
They maybe Cornish X. Definitely bigger then the red chicks.

What would the weights show? I could get them, but are there guidelines for weights at certain ages?
Certainly.. They may be 8 pounds by 8 weeks old where as heritage birds *may* not reach that weight in their first year.. and certainly not before 16 weeks in even *most* prolific growers.

I do agree though.. even thinking they might be standard Rocks.. or from larger eggs.. the size difference looks immense already.. and is probably as clear of indicator as any other could be. The growth itself will tell you well before putting them on any scale.. I just seem to overthink and over complicate things at times. :oops:

What would the weights show? I could get them, but are there guidelines for weights at certain ages?
Comparison can tell you a lot.
If you weigh the chicks now and make a note, then do it again at several later points, you will see if they are growing at very different rates.

For example, if the red chicks double their weight in the same time the white ones quadruple theirs, that would be a pretty good sign that the white ones are meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom