Leghorn Roo, RIR hens

zacksimpson

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Georgetown SC
I know it won't make a true sex link, but I'm interested in egg production more than anything. Will a mix like this lay brown eggs? The customer base around here wants brown eggs only if they're going to pay the premium I'm asking. I've read they produce very well, and are very efficient, but no one says anything about egg color when they talk about it.

I know it won't make a true sex link, but I'm interested in egg production more than anything. Will a mix like this lay brown eggs? The customer base around here wants brown eggs only if they're going to pay the premium I'm asking. I've read they produce very well, and are very efficient, but no one says anything about egg color when they talk about it.

Egg color is a polygenic trait, many of those genes are sex linked, this means that a Leghorn roo x RIR cross hens will produce eggs that will be much lighter(cream colored) than a RIR rooster x Leghorn Hen, but will the Leghorn roo x RIR will be more productive than RIR roo x Leghorn.

My best advise would be to get yourself ISA brown production type brown egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom