Leghorn Setting!

terwelpbantams

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
Payson
I have some white leghorn hens in my flock, and for the past three days one of my hens wasnt leaving the nest box. At first like most people, i thought she was laying. Until i reached toward her and she growled at me. And when i put my hand under her, she settled back down on it. So i was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to you. I felt like sharing this cause i believe its really rare for a white leghorn hen to set. thanks

i have seen them do the same thing but they dont sit for a long time i'v never really let them i pull the eggs from under them and go on, they either growl and set bakc down or get up. but the white leghorns DO do this to me.
D.gif

That is rare for leghorn go broody. My parents have had leghorns for 20+ years and I never did see or remember one go broody.

well i put a couple bantam eggs under her because i had them. I will see how long she keeps going. its been a week so far.

well after 3 long weeks she hatched out two chicks, a mottled cochin bantam from my champion line and a blue mottled oeg bantam! I still have her with the chicks because she is a very good mother. She wont let me near them, but she is in a livestock tank so she isnt going anywhere. The reason i kept her with the chicks is because in the past i have taken away chicks from a first time mother and she has yet to set again. So im letting her raise them so she will hopefully set again. I know this isnt a normal trait but im deffinately going to try to breed for it.

but i have another rarity in my flock, everyone says that a hen in a cage wont set, well my mottled cochin hen started settin 3 weeks ago on 1 egg in her cage, so i added two more, well the first chick hatched out and another one is coming. I guess she decided that she had nothing better to do than hatch some chicks lol.

Back
Top Bottom