Leghorn Thread

Pics
I don't think the comb of a bird is going to change its behavior. Behavior is usually an individual thing but you can breed for it.

I have got 7 White Leghorns. 1 rooster, 2 hens and 4 chicks.
My rooster is a very lovable lap rooster. He never attacks anyone or anything, unless he's protecting his girl or breaking up a fight.
The 2 hens are also friendly, not flighty at all but a little timid.
The chicks I don't know yet but are very inquisitive and come running to me even though they have broody mums.

I agree that comb has nothing to do with temperament. Personally I have always found a leghorn to be more flighty than other breeds but there are exceptions to the rule. If you handle your birds a lot they tend to me tamer and not agressive than if you have them in a pen and you never work with them.

I love my Leghorns! I once read a review of them on here that described them as the Jack Russel Terriers of chickens. I used to have a JRT and have to say that fits them perfectly! They are not my chill wander around the yard chickens. They are the ones who test the boundaries of chicken flight and of fences. Always entertaining and comical even if I can never catch them.

I rescued 12 battery hens yesterday, and they are all Leghorn girls:

thumbsup.gif
. I got some free laying hens probably a week or two ago. I normally wouldn't of gotten them,but many were skinny. Now just trying to get them healthy. Kudos to you for rescuing these girls

I rescued 9 last year about this same time.. And now I am hooked on Leghorns and would like to add some color to the coop.. So I have been looking for some colored leghorn hatching egg.. I also love to hatch.... Still very new... They are hard to find in Maine I have noticed... I will never understand how people can take responsibility of animal and not follow through or at least try to find another placing for them instead of negelecting them///

I rescued 9 last year about this same time.. And now I am hooked on Leghorns and would like to add some color to the coop.. So I have been looking for some colored leghorn hatching egg.. I also love to hatch.... Still very new... They are hard to find in Maine I have noticed... I will never understand how people can take responsibility of animal and not follow through or at least try to find another placing for them instead of negelecting them///
try the leghorn page on facebook. There are a lot of people with interesting colors and some of the sell hatching eggs

I checked them out, and they have a tiny list of breeders, but none with RC.

Unless I maybe found the wrong group?

I wasn't suggesting it for RCs I was suggesting it for lots of different colors. But the group I am on does have one breeder on RCs. He rarely sells anything though

Back
Top Bottom