Leghorns, Plymouth Rocks, or ???? (22 weeks old)

Cheep

Songster
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Sebastopol, CA
They both are almost 22 weeks old, with light-lime-green ears
63357_greeneartuft2-1.jpg

This picture just gives an idea of the color; anyhow they are clearly NOT red!

Now Sunny has always been smaller & graceful looking
About a month ago
63357_sunnycroppedlightned.jpg

and today
63357_dscn0501-1.jpg

Whereas Daisy, although she has the same colored (light lime green) earlobes, is built different, & is bulkier & larger
Daisy, today
63357_daisyisplump88.jpg

I would love to hear ideas. Thanks in advance
smile.png

Last edited:
OK, I think I've figured out that "hatchery leghorn" would differ from a leghorn from a careful breeder, in that the parentage isn't really documented, so basically, who knows?

I think I'm satisfied now, thanks for your help.

California White..the one is too stocky to be a leghorn even hatchery-we have about 75 white hatchery legs here.Second comb isn't correct they are flopping well before they get that large but CW's don't flop or flop as much as legs do. White legs always lay very white eggs not a doubt as to the color..CW's although considered white can be much more of a tinted egg color and yes they still have the white ears but often not as solid white and some red leakage can come through.
Sunny is much more leghorn built but her comb still isn't correct.We have 3 CW's and 2 are more lean the other is much more stocky taking after the rock side of their breeding.They are hardier than the leghorn in the winter but are not doing that well in the 106-110 degree heat like the legs are.

52854_north_carolina_189.jpg

This is my white leghorn, laying her chaulk white egg, at almost exactly 22 weeks. I don't think yours are Leghorns. Body too big, comb not big enough. I honestly don't know how that skinny little chicken lays the bigest egg, every single day.

Thank you for the replies - no red at all in the ears, whitish lime-green for both.
63357_greeneartuft2-1.jpg

Daisy's egg (there have only been 3-4 so far)
63357_2ndeggshowingeggsmearslightened.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom