Barred Plymouth Rock Gender Question

No crowing yet from either! Here is a better photo of the Brahma aka Yolko. I was noticing the saddle feathers and sickle tail which made me concerned, but I would be thrilled if this was not the case! I would really appreciate your opinion...
Looking at those photos, I now think the Brahma is a male.

Photos from different angles can make a big difference to how a bird "looks," and of course your first photos were meant to clearly show the Barred Rock, not the Brahma. Sorry for raising your hopes there :(

I agree the Rock is a pullet, and the Brahma sure looks like a cockerel. You can always do a gender dna test - they are relatively cheap - I did that with a bunch of silkies here ($17 each to do).

Looking at those photos, I now think the Brahma is a male.

Photos from different angles can make a big difference to how a bird "looks," and of course your first photos were meant to clearly show the Barred Rock, not the Brahma. Sorry for raising your hopes there :(
That's ok! I was pretty sure the photos I had originally posted hadn't shown the full roosterness of him. I am just happy our barred rock is a hen at least! Thank you!!

Hello! I am new to the backyard poultry crew but have been using this site for SO MANY THINGS! We currently have a flock of 6. We have gotten 4 of the 6 from a local breeder and ordered them as pullets, as we live in the city where sadly roosters are not welcome. 3 of our originals are laying (praised be!), but of our most recent 3 (buff orpington, light brahma, barred rock), we just realized that our light brahma is indeed a rooster due to the tail. I am now getting paranoid that our Barred Plymouth Rock may be a rooster too due to the feathers in her tail. Her age is somewhat unknown, but we have had her for 6 weeks, and she was a little smaller than our 3 month old oprington when we first got her. My guess is she is 3-4 months. There has been no crowing, her feathering seems darker than roosters, and her feet do have the black splash if you will. We are planning to take the brahma back in a few weeks for an exchange, but if our barred is a rooster, I feel like it could lead to a bad scene, and we may need to take both back sooner. Any advice would be welcome! Also, any words of encouragement would be great! We had to already exchange one of our original buff orpingtons due to her being a rooster, so it would be a real blow to lose another two and have to introduce another two. I know this happens a lot of with sexing but it has been such a bummer! We though by reserving older pullets, it would be less likely to happen!
Looks like pullets to me, the barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom