Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Auction!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Redcatcher, Jun 8, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'll keep you all updated and give a good heads up before I start listing eggs so everyone can be watching for them.

2. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Rareroo do you have any straight up cuckoo marans?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Nope

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois

Whoops i meant Cuckoo Orpingtons

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

Whoops i meant Cuckoo Orpingtons

Oh I was wondering if that was what you meant, I thought Marans was kinda random lol But no, not yet anyway, they will probably be coming up soon though.

And if any of you do know of anyone who has some good Cuckoo Marans, please let me know, I have a friend looking for some mainly as layers but I'm sure she would still like nice quality dark eggs.

6. Greybear23

Greybear23 Songster

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    Rareroo, those are some beautiful LCO!!! I would love to have some if you get them going!!! Lynn in Okla.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    No way I could afford to buy those eggs auctioned so I think I am going to cross my Golden Cuckoo Marans roo with my buff Orp hens. I am already hatching out Golden Cuckoo chicks and loving them so to make my own yard eye candy I think I will work on this little project. At least I can eat extra roos, not like a bantam Cochin where there isn't enough meat. My Marans roos get huge.
    I have about 6 buff Orps and they a lighter egg than my Golden Cuckoo so I can easily tell the difference. However, they won't be pure and won't be for sale.

[​IMG]

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Crowing

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Nadine. You have very pretty birds [​IMG] I have been thinking of doing the same thing but my end result will be lemon cuckoo marans not orps lol. I have a very light colored golden cuckoo marans roo that has some lemon cuckoo looking feathering on his 'gold' parts so I think he would be a good candidate to use with a buff orp hen.
    It would be better if I had a buff colored marans to cross him with but I don't...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. Greybear23

Greybear23 Songster

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    I think these are both great ideas, I would love to be a part of a project to develop the Lemon Cockoo Orpintons or Marans if anyone would consider sending me eggs to get started I would gladly share eggs when we get some going!!! Lynn

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I actually would like to try for both ways with this project but don't know that I will have space and money for it. Well, space isn't really a big issue since I have the whole farm but I have to afford to feed them some how and right now I can't do that so well with DH losing his good job and now has a lesser paycheck. The economy right now is the pits here in the south.
    I will be putting my buff Orps girls into the pen the end of next week and remove some of my cuckoo girls for some free range time with the egg laying flock. I am trying to plan better for this winter but hatching is such an addiction. But so are beautiful birds and breeding projects! [​IMG]

flgardengirl, thank you for the compliment on my birds. The roo actually came from a well known breeder and the pullet came from a dear friend in FL.

Greybear23, I PM'd you back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: