Lemon cuckoo Orpington questions

I have a very stupid question for you, but cannot resist asking it. If you breed a double barred Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Cockeral and a Dominique Hen, what color would their offspring be??? and would any be barred?

What i mean is, id iw ere to show or sell the girls.(with no barreding)
What do i put the variaty as. Lemon cuckoo? Buff orpington?
The girls are lookig very fine with there big fluffy butts,
So i wanted to show them, but idk what variaty.
In order to show or sell, you would need to know what breed they are and if they are from a pure breeding pen. If they are buff colored orpington with no barring, they are buff orpington. If they have barring, the could be barred/lemon cuckoo Orpington, but it depends on where you got them and if the person was working with that breed. I have seen some unusual colors crop up from mixing colors, so to know what you have you would have to ask the person you got them from.

Ok thanks you!!
Also I have two roosters right now,
One is a lighter color and the other is darker.
I want to sell the darker one, but don't know at what price.
Of someone could tell me how much I should charge for him.
Thanks!!!:)

I have a very stupid question for you, but cannot resist asking it. If you breed a double barred Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Cockeral and a Dominique Hen, what color would their offspring be??? and would any be barred?

No question is stupid unless I just answered the question and a person asks the same question again.

All the chicks would be barred. The males would be black/barred but with lots of white on the head, hackles and breast.

The females would be black/barred but with lots of a buff color on the head, hackles and breast.

To be truthful the chicken is worth what ever a person is willing to pay for the bird.

Tim

Last edited:
Thought in my reading that the black was dominant....but may have to try it just to see what they look like. Checked out your web page, neat, hope you will post more on BYC about your new breeds.

Tim
Watching these posts about LCO genetics . .. what are the genetic traits that would make the offspring of Barred LCO Roo and dominique hen cross the colors you mentioned ?
White head on roo. Would the lemon cuckoo orps buff color not come thru on a roos head ? Be blocked by some dominent allele ?
Would they be barred but white head on buff barred body, black and white body or either of those?.A big mix?.
I gues i am asking is there a formula in all chickens when crossed.? LIke The roos head will be white if there is a buff or white involved ?
How did you come to your answer on the LCO X Dominuique hen?
Hope i am being clear.

Thought in my reading that the black was dominant....but may have to try it just to see what they look like. Checked out your web page, neat, hope you will post more on BYC about your new breeds.

The black color in a chicken is usually expressed by more than one gene. Then there are genes that can control other genes. In this case the buff bird carries a gene that can control where the pigments are added to a chicken. Not all genes can effect the expression by the genes (most of the time two) that cause a bird to be black. The gene found in the buff will tend to remove black pigments from the head hackles and breast. This leaves the red pigments or no pigments to show in the birds.

Tim

Tim
Watching these posts about LCO genetics . .. what are the genetic traits that would make the offspring of Barred LCO Roo and dominique hen cross the colors you mentioned ?
White head on roo. Would the lemon cuckoo orps buff color not come thru on a roos head ? Be blocked by some dominent allele ?
Would they be barred but white head on buff barred body, black and white body or either of those?.A big mix?.
I gues i am asking is there a formula in all chickens when crossed.? LIke The roos head will be white if there is a buff or white involved ?
How did you come to your answer on the LCO X Dominuique hen?
Hope i am being clear.

Head etc color is due to sex linked gold and silver alleles.

Domi are silver and orpi are gold- this is a sex linked cross producing males that are silver (white) and females that are red/buff/lemon. It has been my experience that black/barred birds are silver- I agree with Jeffrey on this finding therefore domi is silver. Domi could be gold but I am going with the highest probability.

Crossing the two birds produces an extended black/wheaten heterozygote. This genotype will produce incomplete dominance- and in the correct genotype; males and females that leak non-black color on the anterior of the bird. Greatest in hackles. Also any melanizer found in the domi would also be heterozygous in the offspring which will lead to more non-black expressing on the anterior of the offspring.

The orpi carries a gene called dark brown that will suppress black plumage on the anterior portion of a bird; therefore the non-black head, hackles and breast. The amount of black removed depends on the genetics of the barred birds. The offspring could have a little or a lot of the black removed from their anterior end.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom