Lemon Severe injury

Lemonduck

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
My poor lemon about 3 weeks old was severely injured by my chicken in the run. She had all the skin ripped off the side of her neck and the back of her head. She was weak walking. Is there any way we could save her. You can see right to her vocal cord and all the muscle in her neck

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined our community. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

So sorry about your duck.

Have you cleaned the wounds and trimmed the feathers around it? After that's been done please upload a picture.
Has she been removed from the rest of your flock and put somewhere safe where you can keep an eye on her?

Its very important that you keep the wounds clean.

Do you have Blue kote? You can get it at TSC and apply it to the wounds after it's been cleaned.

@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0

She passed late last night :(. We cleaned her up and separated all of the ducks. She barely ate or drank once the shock wore off. Thank you all for your help. The wound was just too deep. She had a hole piercing through her neck once we cleaned her up, an eye injury and skin and tissue removed from the back of her head. My flock did well the first couple days we introduced the ducks and this just came out of the blue. Any tips for introducing my ducks in the future will be greatly appreciated so it doesn’t happen again.

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined our community. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

So sorry about your duck.

Have you cleaned the wounds and trimmed the feathers around it? After that's been done please upload a picture.
Has she been removed from the rest of your flock and put somewhere safe where you can keep an eye on her?

Its very important that you keep the wounds clean.

Do you have Blue kote? You can get it at TSC and apply it to the wounds after it's been cleaned.

@Miss Lydia @Isaac 0
Sorry for the late reply ! We did this last night ! I didn’t get a chance to upload a picture since things were chaotic

I'm so sorry you lost her :hugs
I would not have my young ducks in a coop with chickens until the ducks were adult size. They can turn on them so quick and ducks haven't any way to protect themselves.
What breed are your chickens.
Like right now and this is totally opposite from what happened at your homestead but this shows you how things can get out of hand. I have Muscovy as one of my breeds and one is broody she hates my rooster so every chance she gets she goes after him, if she was closed up with him in a coop she would no doubt kill him. So my Muscovy are in one coop all the other ducks and chickens are in another. Eventually they will all be back together even with my Muscovy roosting with the chickens,

But I have seen members come on here where their chickens have injured their ducklings and adult ducks too pecking an eye causing serious injury one member lost many of his ducklings putting them in the coop around the age of yours. When I have ducklings going into the coop without a mama mine go in the coop but they have their own space where I can close it off at night using lattice and plastic chicken fencing that way no one can get to them they are safe but still with the flock eventually the chickens get use to them and leave them alone. And the adult ducks get use to them too.
I'd let them all out together at times during the day if they are not in close quarters like out foraging. With your supervision. That way if something does get started you can be right there to intervene. I mean the ducklings will have to put up with some dominance issues but not outright attacking. Some breed of chickens are more ornery than others too.
Was this the first time they had been together? In the run? not the coop?

Back
Top Bottom