Lemony Ricotta Cookies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ooptec, May 18, 2012.

1. ooptec

ooptec In the Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Hafford, SK, Canada
    hey,

The lady I get raw milk from to make hard cheese uses her raw milk after the cream is separated for cottage cheese. Her sales are for raw milk, heavy cream and cottage cheese. I asked her what she does w/the whey after and she says gives it away to another place who feed it to their pigs. So I asked if she would save for me instead and to sweeten her up take back some of the baking I make w/it. Keeps her sweet and also by myself most things are just too much for me to eat up till tired of it. So she's been supplying me w/enuf whey to make a pound of ricotta every other day or more. Even after making ricotta there is still a lot of goodness left in the whey and don't have to use vinegar or salt to make either the cottage cheese or ricotta so the new chicks and everything birdie else out here has waterers full of it. They all love it.

Could easily sub finely grated lemon zest for peel or even something different (leaving out lemon flavor maybe) like cinnamon, or whatever your favorite is

Lemon-Glazed Ricotta Cookies

Ingredients
    Preparation
    In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in egg, ricotta, lemon flavor and vanilla, beating well after each. Add a little of the flour and the peel and whiz in food processor till fine(ish)(or zest), then add to mixture

In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda; stir into ricotta mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Roll by 1 tbsp (15 mL) into balls. Place, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper–lined baking sheets. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for about 12 minutes or until white and slightly firm to the touch. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; let cool completely.

[​IMG]

cheers

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Mar 31, 2010
    Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
    Sounds delicious!

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Oh my goodness, those look so yummy! I love lemony desserts [​IMG]

4. TheMerseaDiet

TheMerseaDiet Hatching

May 21, 2012
    Hello guys, looking for a good recipes? try to check this one beef barley soup recipe and It is free on May 22nd and May 31st..

5. OMG! those sound awesome :) must make cookies soon . . . . ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: