Lessens learned

#7. You can name them, just do it the right way. I name mine after States or after former lovers. You can whack Arizona or Julie the Cheater without a blink but not Henrietta or Chantilly. See?

lau.gif

I have an extra fridge so I can just put them in there and let them set as long as need be. I did have a problem with them drying out a little because I didn't bag them during the resting period. But once I figured out that they needed to be bagged, problem solved. Killing 25 at one time would pose a space problem. Not sure what I could do in that situation either. Maybe friends or family can help out. Good luck. Hope you have fun with it.

As for them being lazy and not moving, many of us find that it depends on where and how they are raised. The more crowded they are, the less they move. With only six in a 4x8 foot tractor, they won't move a ton. But let those same six out on 1/2 acre and they probably will move plenty. Especially if you have another breed in there with them to show them how to forage. After all, that stuff they forage is food, and God only knows how much these things like food!

Last edited:
I agree! When I let my CX out in the morning they run, some trying to fly, to get to their forage...not a one stays behind to see if I'm going to feed. They are 8 wks right now and forage all day long until almost full dark. I could never keep up with all the steps they take each day down to the forest line, back to water, over to dusting spots, over to the clover meadow, back to water, etc.

As for finding the space to let 25 birds rest after slaughter, I read here on BYC that you can take them out of the freezer early, and let them "rest" after thawing them out also. I don't know because I never had to do it this way, but it would be easier that way than trying to store 25 birds for 3 days before freezing.

Anyone freeze right away and then allow the carcass to rest for the rigor to pass after thawing them out?

Regarding the discussion here about where to "chill", "refrigerate", or "rest" 25 birds after process - My thought was that I would be using my gi-normous Costco sized ice chest (rotating birds and adding fresh ice each day) for the 3 days (or so).

Am I out of my mind? Or, will this work?

Time's getting short (5 days away). If this won't work - I better be making buddies with all the neighbors that own refrigerators.

Very small sample size, but I haven't noticed anything bad about the ones (or, parts,) that went straight into the freezer.

I wasn't sure how rigor mortis works in poultry and wondered if we might be applying rules that are really meant for other meats, so I went looking...

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~swatland/ch5_1.htm says

Quote:
So, there's a vote for freezing poultry immediately.

If you are shrink wrapping you may have trouble with the ice chest approach unless you're careful to keep it drained. (You poke a hole in the bag to let the air out as it shrinks. You don't want water getting back in via that hole during chilling/resting.

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom