let mamma raise them or take them?

asthrngal89

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Kelly, NC
I have a silkie thats brooding on a clutch of eggs I'm thinking either april 6th or 9th they will be hatching, should I let her raise them keeping them in the chicken coop/chicken run with the two other hens and rooster or take them into the house in my brooder. Im worried about how they would eat and drink esp around the other chickens. Should I get crumble feed medicated with mom ?? Idk wat to do just want them to have a good start . And should I put fresh shavings in the coop wen hatched and would I need a heat lamp for outside letting mom raise them with the other three chickens? Or shoud I chicknap them and raise them inside?

Your silkie should be a good mother, but I would keep an eye on her for the first few days if this is her first time. Splitting her and her chicks from the flock is a personal decision and one that you should make based on the dynamics of your flock. You will need to get them chick starter, they need the extra protein and the calcium in layer feed will be too much for them and can hurt them. They would not need a heat lamp, they just run under mom to stay warm. Here's an article that should help answer other questions you might have if this is your first broody:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Good luck!

Wonder if I could just steal her babies when they hatch and she wouldn't want to be broody anymore I cant really put her inside wth the chicks she is very flighty and scared of me and my husband the three hens were rescues so they are very scared of us and freak out when we get near them. if I took her babies away and left her with the flock would she be okay and go back to normal?

You could take them but she might just keep brooding or she could be upset that the chicks are gone and spend a couple days distressed and looking for them. I've never taken chicks from a broody before but I don't think taking them just snaps them out of it immediately, it might take a few days for her to get over it or she might keep trying to hatch eggs.

I think im going to build a quick make shift pen and house for just her and them where the others can still see them that way when they are old enough putting them together wont be bad and no one will shun anyone if I can get it done in time! !! Husband list!!!

Back
Top Bottom