Let the nail biting begin! Poults in the mail!

FeatherQueen3

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
Central NC
I rolled the dice and ordered 10 heritage turkey poults from Hoovers. They shipped out today. NO idea how they have heritage breeds this early on in the year? Has anyone else had poults shipped in winter? What was the outcome?
I expect a couple of losses whenever poults are shipped just because they are a bit sensitive... but really really hoping the majority will make it just fine. They are coming from Iowa to NC.

Side note-I ordered 10 chicks from TSC (Hoovers) 2 weeks ago and they all arrived alive and healthy! :)

They’re here!! The postmaster called me at 6:55 this morning!! We got 2 of every breed they have available! Narragansetts, Blue Slate, Black (website just says black.. not sure if that means black slate or black spanish), bourbon reds, and royal palms. Unfortunately, both of the royal palms were DOA, as well as one black one. One blue slate is barely hanging on. I FINALLY got it to drink some electrolyte water, but will not eat just yet. Hoping when I go home on lunch to check on them it will have warmed up and perked up. Going to drive myself nuts until then!!! I did try to put one of my 2 week old ISA brown chicks in there to show them what to do but one of the Narragansetts was trying to peck her eyes and she was terrified! So back to the chick brooder she went. Anyway, pics to follow!!

One of the “black” (slate? Spanish?) turkeys. The other was DOA 😞 This one was the perkiest in the box though and let me know he wanted OUT as soon as I lifted the lid! 😁

Attachments

• 803E9093-D371-49A8-9FA9-6BA5F29F79FA.jpeg
    803E9093-D371-49A8-9FA9-6BA5F29F79FA.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 5
They’re here!! The postmaster called me at 6:55 this morning!! We got 2 of every breed they have available! Narragansetts, Blue Slate, Black (website just says black.. not sure if that means black slate or black spanish), bourbon reds, and royal palms. Unfortunately, both of the royal palms were DOA, as well as one black one. One blue slate is barely hanging on. I FINALLY got it to drink some electrolyte water, but will not eat just yet. Hoping when I go home on lunch to check on them it will have warmed up and perked up. Going to drive myself nuts until then!!! I did try to put one of my 2 week old ISA brown chicks in there to show them what to do but one of the Narragansetts was trying to peck her eyes and she was terrified! So back to the chick brooder she went. Anyway, pics to follow!!
Make sure they have a nice warm small spot in the brooder like 100 degrees until they can get fully warmed up. But they must be able to get away from hot spot if needed to a cooler spot farther away from heat not sure how big your brooder is. A little sugar water would be good but nutri-drench would be great to get them going.

Back
Top Bottom