Lethargic and weird neck positioning

Macke

Hatching
Apr 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning and went out to feed the girls and saw some wing feathers sticking through the coop door, and when I opened it one of my girls was laying splayed out in the roost. Her wings were out to the side and her feet were curled up, and she keeps throwing her head to the left side of her back, even if I try to move it. She seemed fine yesterday and last night, her crop feels ok albeit a bit empty due to lack of breakfast, I figured she might be egg bound but I've given her two warm baths and am unable to feel an egg, even through her vent (I didn't know what else to do). She drinks very little and won't eat, makes a few noises here and there but now she's degraded to just laying on her side as if her equilibrium is off.

The closest vet that will see a bird today is an hour and a half away and it's $90 just to walk in the door and I'm so devastated

How old is the hen? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have a rooster or hen who might have roughed her up? Does she have any other symptoms? It sounds like she has wry neck, which could be a symptom of a head injury, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, or it could be a sign of an illness, such as Mareks or a few others. I would try to get her drinking some fluids, give some electrolytes, and try giving some human vitamin E 400 IU and a bit of human B complex for thiamine daily. Keep her separated inside a dog crate or pen, and I would consider bringing her inside to care for. Could she have gotten into spoiled feed or something poisonous?

How old is the hen? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have a rooster or hen who might have roughed her up? Does she have any other symptoms? It sounds like she has wry neck, which could be a symptom of a head injury, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, or it could be a sign of an illness, such as Mareks or a few others. I would try to get her drinking some fluids, give some electrolytes, and try giving some human vitamin E 400 IU and a bit of human B complex for thiamine daily. Keep her separated inside a dog crate or pen, and I would consider bringing her inside to care for. Could she have gotten into spoiled feed or something poisonous?
She's about 9 months old, I tried giving her vitamin e mixed in with some electrolytes earlier but she wouldn't take much and was drooling after as if she was struggling to swallow and she's been inside since I found her. Nothing that she could have gotten into, but I talked with my friends wife and she agreed that it was probably mareks, but I don't know how long I should wait to confirm and try to help her before I make the decision between prolonging her suffering or putting her down.

Back
Top Bottom