Lethargic Buff Orpington---help for a newbie please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaKettle, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I walked out to my run & found one of my 7 month old BOs laying in the hay while the others were up & about. I threw in some BOSS & the rest of the hens went crazy pecking around, while Priscilla just sat there, staring blankly. I went in to the run & she stood up. She is all fluffed up & her tail is almost tucked between her legs.

Her comb is red & bright, her legs & feet look good (no bumblefoot). I felt her bottom and it feels soft & pliable so I don't think she is egg bound. She walked a couple of feet & just stopped & stared blankly again.

I brought her inside & checked her out again. Nothing seems physically wrong with her. I checked her bottom & she doesn't appear to be plugged up. Currently she is in a dog crate in my basement. I have hay in there with some water & yogurt. The room is dark.

Any suggestions?? Am I missing something? This is my first year with hens & my first real "illness." I would appreciate any advice!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sometimes worms can cause lethargy and loss of appetite. Have they been wormed lately? If not, get some ivermectin at 3 mL per gallon.

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never wormed them..I have 5 hens in a backyard setting...I have not seen any poop from her

Thanks for the advice

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by