Lethargic Chick - Please Help!

Jul 19, 2021
I got a couple chicks from someone (French Wheaten Marans) at first they did seem kind of sickly, but two of them came out of it relatively fast. My third chick is very lethargic, I read online that chicks need 1-2 ounces of food and twice that for water every day, but she’s barely eating and is not growing with the other chicks, I felt like the chicks were too young to be out of the incubator when we got them...

Anyways, my little girl (Panera) isn’t growing like her siblings, she’s very wobbly and sleepy. I tried giving her water (with nutri-drench mixed in) maybe an hour or two ago? Tried giving her some just now and she won’t take it. I haven’t gotten her to eat anything either, she barely pecked at her scratch earlier (I don’t know if she ate anything) she’s still defecating, but I’m wondering if anyone has any tips for me... 😓

What do you mean by scratch is that chick starter? Nutri-drench is good for giving them a boost I would give it to her for a few days trying to get her going. Some chicks just never do well its called failure to thrive. Hopefully she just needs a boost to get going. How old are the chicks?

What do you mean by scratch is that chick starter? Nutri-drench is good for giving them a boost I would give it to her for a few days trying to get her going. Some chicks just never do well its called failure to thrive. Hopefully she just needs a boost to get going. How old are the chicks?
Chick starter sorry, she and her siblings are about 5 weeks old I think. 2-3 when I got them and that was July 12th.

Hope she gets over it for you and her. You can try wetting some of her chick starter making a mash most chicks and chickens eat it right up like its candy, might get her to eat more. You can add a little of that nutri-drench to it also to get more of that in her. Plus it helps getting some more hydration into her.

Hope she gets over it for you and her. You can try wetting some of her chick starter making a mash most chicks and chickens eat it right up like its candy, might get her to eat more. You can add a little of that nutri-drench to it also to get more of that in her. Plus it helps getting some more hydration into her.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. :)

I got a couple chicks from someone (French Wheaten Marans) at first they did seem kind of sickly, but two of them came out of it relatively fast. My third chick is very lethargic, I read online that chicks need 1-2 ounces of food and twice that for water every day, but she’s barely eating and is not growing with the other chicks, I felt like the chicks were too young to be out of the incubator when we got them...

Anyways, my little girl (Panera) isn’t growing like her siblings, she’s very wobbly and sleepy. I tried giving her water (with nutri-drench mixed in) maybe an hour or two ago? Tried giving her some just now and she won’t take it. I haven’t gotten her to eat anything either, she barely pecked at her scratch earlier (I don’t know if she ate anything) she’s still defecating, but I’m wondering if anyone has any tips for me... 😓
Now she's acting more neurological, she kept falling to the left and turning her head left as well... she's more awake now that I've fed her and given her the nutri-drench equivalent though.

Now she's acting more neurological, she kept falling to the left and turning her head left as well... she's more awake now that I've fed her and given her the nutri-drench equivalent though.
She has now passed. :(
Thank you for your help though!

Back
Top Bottom