Lethargic Chick! PLEASE HELP!!!

trisky2

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
We are brandy new to chickens. We have four. One four week old Barred Rock, one three week old Speckled Sussex, one three week old Rhode Island Red, and a two week old Light Brahma. Today, we shut their light off because it was nice and warm out. (they have been in their coop for almost a week now and were doing great). Today, I came home from work and turned their light on. This woke the chicks right up and the older three immediately started eating and playing. The brahma was somewhat sluggish and slow. When we went out to check on them 40 minutes later, they were all catching bugs and running and such, but not the brahma. She caught a bug, but did not try to fight with the others to keep it. Instead, she gave it right up and began to lay down, as if she was going to bed. CULLING MY CHICKENS IS NOT AN OPTION! I love these little girls more than anything. I need someone to tell me what they think it is and what I can do to help my little girl. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you ahead of time.

i'm not sure i'm pretty new to this as well but i've heard people mention sugar water and electrolytes... i've also heard people giving their chicks yogurt... but do not take my word for it hopefully i can bump your thread up and someone with more experience can help you... i hope that your chick is ok!

Thank you for replying anyways. Any little bit is helpful. My boyfriend and I took her out and put her in her own little box with a cup of food and a glass of water. We hand fed her (which she has always loved) and had her drink a bit for about a half hour. Then, we put her back out in the coop with her sisters (as we call them). We monitored her for quite a while after that and she seemed to perk up. I am going to continue to monitor her VERY closely. She is my little princess. Thank you for your tips, and I am sure I will try one or two of them if she continues these odd habbits.

i really hope someone with more experience can help you... my first batch of chicks EVER turns 3 weeks old on friday and i don't know what i would do if something happened to any one of them... i've already had quite a few scares myself in the past couple of weeks and someone here has always helped me through it :) usually its just making a big deal over nothing
roll.png

hello there, I'm new to Chickens to,but i have also herd tht if you give your chicks electrolights it can help them. When I first bought my chicks,the lady i bought them from said tht whenever they look unhappy or sick you can buy this stuff tht you mix in with there water. the stuff tht you mix in there water gives them vitamins and electrolights. I was told tht when you first buy chicks, if you give this to them it can help them stay healthy so now i allways mix it in their water. i hope you get an answer from someone who is more experinced other than me. hope i helped some!! goodluck
thumbsup.gif

P.S sadly I don't know the name of the stuff or else i would have told you.

I bought some of that at the feed store, it was called " Save a chick". came in 3 packets, 1 packet per gallon of water. It helped save my chick who was on her last leg from a crop impaction.

Have they all been able to get to the dirt? If so, I would treat them for coccidiosis. You can buy Corid at the feed store. It's really easy to treat but if left, is deadly.

Back
Top Bottom