Lethargic Chick with balloon in chest...?

HanaleeFarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hello, all! I am needing some advice:

Saturday we got a load of 12 pullet chicks, different varieties... they seemed to be fine, and I hand picked each one...

however, Sunday morning my husband and I noticed one of the "tetra tints" (never heard of them before, bought em anyway) was acting lethargic, really sleepy. Upon picking her up to check her out, it seemed like she had a balloon in her chest! She walks when she is placed in an area she doesn't like, but was being trampled by the other, more vigorous chicks. We decided to separate her. I did message the balloon and she threw up a bit. I have been making sure she is getting water and mixing a little food with water so at least she gets some of the medicated feed... but I am not sure what to do. I was sure we would find her passed away this morning, but not.

What do you think? She cheeps, looks well, aside from the balloon. Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Hmm, is this the crop? Is it hard or soft when you massage it? Might be impacted. I think you could give the chick a little bit of olive oil and massage it....maybe that would help the little chick pass the blockage. Truly, I've never encountered this, so I am not sure if it works.....

Good luck! Surely someone will come along soon who can help!

Sharon

First off Welcome to BYC.

Could it be the crop? On the right side between the neck and breast. It would fill up like a balloon when it eats and go down at night when the food is digested.

Imp

I'm fairly certain it is not the crop... however, there is a chance. I have felt an impacted crop before, and this is definitely not that-- it is truly like a balloon, or air pocket, in her chest?!?! Never encountered this and not sure what to do
sad.png
And, thanks! I'm glad to be here
smile.png

OH, maybe it is a "breast blister"! They form sometimes because there is a place of friction where the chick (or chicken) comes in contact and sort of rubs it's breast, causing the breast blister.....

I just looked that up, and there is no bruising or anything abnormal other than the bubble on the skin... thanks! I'll keep trying
smile.png

Welp... she passed away this evening in my hands... still have no idea, however, the bubble/balloon went away as the day progressed. Thanks for all your input. This is the first passing of a chicken I've ever dealt with, so I suppose I'm pretty lucky. Thank you!

Welp... she passed away this evening in my hands... still have no idea, however, the bubble/balloon went away as the day progressed. Thanks for all your input. This is the first passing of a chicken I've ever dealt with, so I suppose I'm pretty lucky. Thank you!
In case you never found out what happened to your little chick I'm going to guess it was a ruptured air sacs. Subcutaneous emphysema is what that causes. If you don't relieve the pressure the air sacs don't heal. If you do, they heal very quickly. All you need is an 18 gauge syringe and a way to keep your bird relatively still for a second. You can pretty much tell where to pop em but if not there's charts on where all the sacs are. You only have to get through the skin. You're just trying to let the collected air escape. Not going for any organs or anything. lol.. you've probably figured this out by now but just in case.. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom