Lethargic chick

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My chick around 2 months is acting lethargic. A few days ago my 5 month chick died which i think is due to coccidiosis. I started the adult hens and the rest of 5 months old treatment. But haven’t treated these 2 months old yet.
Should I treat them for coccidiosis as well? @Eggcessive

Attachments

• 9745C55A-C746-4629-8789-032368F03D60.jpeg
    9745C55A-C746-4629-8789-032368F03D60.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 133
You could do but I don't think you should unless you're certain that they have it too. Symptoms include, lethargy,ruffled/dirty appearence,paralysis in the wings,neck or legs,lack of appetite,blood in poop or continuous foamy yellow poops. Keep an eye on them and maybe keep them seperate for a few days just to figure out the root cause of the problem. Monitor the poop and make sure they eat and drink well. Lethargy could also be a sign of vitamin deficiency so I'd suggest giving them vitamin supplements like vitamin B and E and also give them an egg yolk for vitamin B12. If they continue to behave this way you can start coccidiosis treatment. Hope this helps :)

Since you just had a death from possible coccidiosis, yes, I would probably go ahead and do a preventative treatment for coccidiosis. At 2 months old, that is a common dangerous time to develop the disease. It would be better to treat before seeing symptoms of lethargy or sleepiness.

You could do but I don't think you should unless you're certain that they have it too. Symptoms include, lethargy,ruffled/dirty appearence,paralysis in the wings,neck or legs,lack of appetite,blood in poop or continuous foamy yellow poops. Keep an eye on them and maybe keep them seperate for a few days just to figure out the root cause of the problem. Monitor the poop and make sure they eat and drink well. Lethargy could also be a sign of vitamin deficiency so I'd suggest giving them vitamin supplements like vitamin B and E and also give them an egg yolk for vitamin B12. If they continue to behave this way you can start coccidiosis treatment. Hope this helps :)
Thank you so much for your help!
I gave them egg yolk and vitamin B as you had suggested. They did perk up a bit but they still are lethargic and not their 100% yet. And their droppings still look very foamy and yellow. Not like the usual cecal droppings.

Since you just had a death from possible coccidiosis, yes, I would probably go ahead and do a preventative treatment for coccidiosis. At 2 months old, that is a common dangerous time to develop the disease. It would be better to treat before seeing symptoms of lethargy or sleepiness.
As always, thank you so much for the help!
I will definitely begin everyone’s treatment for coccidiosis.

This post was about 2 chicks. One of them passed away the same night i posted this forum. But the other one became healthy

But now its lethargic again. Its droppings dont look like that of coccidiosis, maybe dehydration?
Ive given it some yogurt mixed with starter feed pellets.
How should i go about its treatment?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 4
Are you able to get any testing on the poops, to see if there are still coccidia? What medication did you use to treat for coccidiosis? For how long did you treat? Amprollium, toltrazuril, or sulfa antibiotic are the usual treatment. Can you get the chicken to drink some fluids? Was it eating before it became lethargic.

Are you able to get any testing on the poops, to see if there are still coccidia? What medication did you use to treat for coccidiosis? For how long did you treat? Amprollium, toltrazuril, or sulfa antibiotic are the usual treatment. Can you get the chicken to drink some fluids? Was it eating before it became lethargic.
Doing testing here is next to impossible

I treated them with coccidiosis poultry medicine. Do you think there is a chance this little one still has it?

I gave it some electrolytes water and vitamin B complex through syringe.
Yes it was eating before it became lethargic. Still pecking around a bit here and there. I hope it survives the night.

What do you think the next course of action should be?

I hope so as well. It would be good to know what drug was used, or see a picture of the package. Amprollium for instance, is used without giving any B vitamins which might affect how well it works. If you have sulfa antibiotic, I would probably treat again with that.

Back
Top Bottom