Lethargic chick!!!

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
We're new at chickens and just noticed one of our 6 week old red stars is sick. She is just laying there, apparently panting and salivating. What do we do? What is it?? Other 15 seem to be ok...for now...please help!

first of all, seperate it from the other chicks and maybe if you dip its beak in sugar it will purk up and start to eat. If she is panting and is under the heat sourse in your brooder, take the light away, because you don't want to get it hotter than it already is. If you fell that she is cold but panting that probobly means she has a feaver---then you might need to buy her appropriet anti-biotics.

It was reasonably warm here today - 70 degrees - so we didn't have the lamp on. Already separated her from the others and she is very lethargic. How do we know what the appropriate antibiotic is? Feed stores are closed and we are unprepared.

Happy to report that she seems to have perked up!! She is resting comfortably. We gave her some sugar water and now she's napping with her beak under her wing. Thanks and I'll keep you posted!!

I new that would work!!!!!!
ya.gif

Thank you both so much for your prompt responses. She is doing just fine. I am thinking she was a little dehydrated. She might not be aggressive enough to force her way to the waterer so we will have to keep an eye on that. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom