Lethargic Chick

breen

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
New York State
Hi everyone,

So, I have a one month old chick. She is very sleepy, but is eating and pooping. In her shipment, five chicks came stumbling, ansome couldn't walk. The five chicks all died in one night. The chick doesn't move around and has dilated eyes. I'm wondering if she will get better, or is even sick at all.

Thanks,
Breen

I think that she is sick. Personally, I'd treat her for Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis often affects birds of this age. It causes droopiness, sleepiness, paleness, lack of appetite, and sometimes bloody dirrhea. Your bird fits some of these symptoms. The treatment for Coccidosis is Cord (Amprolium), either liquid or powder. The Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the Corid powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Both are given for five days. While treating, don't give dairy products or apple cider vinegar.

Until you get Corid, give some powdered milk or buttermilk. This will help prevent the effects of Coccidiosis from getting out of hand before you can start treatment. Also, give electrolytes and sugar water to keep her energy up.

Coccidiosis is one possiblity, but it may not be the disease. What temperature are your chicks being kept at, and, what are you feeding them? Does the chick have splayed legs ?

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So, I have a one month old chick. She is very sleepy, but is eating and pooping. In her shipment, five chicks came stumbling, ansome couldn't walk. The five chicks all died in one night. The chick doesn't move around and has dilated eyes. I'm wondering if she will get better, or is even sick at all.

Thanks,
Breen

She could be ill with Coccidiosis like Wyandottes7 thought, or she might not be. I would get some chick vitamins/electrolytes and possibly some probiotics and put them in her water to boost her energy.

Unfortunately, your chick might just have some sort of internal defect, and will never thrive. Hopefully, though, that isn't the case and she recovers.

Back
Top Bottom