Lethargic chicken, not laying, diarrhea but now normal poops

armorwolf

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Howdy y'all!

TLDR: Hen was lethargic last Saturday; had yellowish diarrhea going into brown diarrhea. Treated 3 days with fenbendazole before vet. Diarrhea stopped, fecal test negative for parasites/coccidia. Chicken still lethargic and has not laid. Took her to vet. Vet felt egg in her (had to feel pretty far up through her stomach). Gave Medicam. Did medicam for 4 days - no egg laid. Improvement noticed after fluid given by vet. Seems slightly more lethargic now. Eating and drinking, though less than normal. Been offering water with nutridrench. Comb a little pale. Need advice - feeding/probiotic also would be helpful!

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a chicken (hen) who I took in last Sunday morning because she was acting lethargic and had diarrhea. The diarrhea was yellow and pretty mucousy with a bit of white in it. She continued to have diarrhea and seemed to poop out what looked like a worm (though it was hard to tell if it was grass, I unfortunately didn't get a great look at it because I was pretty busy that day and someone else in my family bagged the poop), though when I took her in to get it tested (alongside a general look at her) the tests came back negative for worms or coccidia. I did three days of fenbendazole before getting her into the vet (note: I gave them stool samples from before and after treatment).

Now she is no longer having diarrhea yet is still lethargic and has not laid an egg. I have been giving her nutridrench in her water though she's not drinking a ton. She is eating, and I've given her a few mealworms that she immediately eats. The vet did say she felt an egg in her, but it was pretty far up in her (I had been concerned about egg binding) and gave her medicam for the pain. She has still not laid and I stopped the medicam four days in (Sunday) because I wanted to reconsult with vet who originally gave 3 days worth of meds but then gave a 2nd refill. Also - anything I should be giving her for nutrition would be helpful. Don't want to stress her out but I know the dewormer can be hard on them. If I give her calcium (she already has layer feed) how much should I give? She's not interested in the oyster shells I have at the moment.

Just curious if y'all had insight. It's expensive bringing her into the vet and I can still, if needed, but I'd appreciate any wisdom you all have to share!

How old is the hen? Do you know when she last laid normally? If she's pooping then she's not truly egg bound. Reproductive problems including cancers, infections, or internally laying are not uncommon. Salpingitis can cause lash material to build up inside, which could possibly feel like an egg. You can give calcium citrate +D (citracal), 400 mg daily to see if it helps her pass anything. Does her abdomen feel bloated?

How old is the hen? Do you know when she last laid normally? If she's pooping then she's not truly egg bound. Reproductive problems including cancers, infections, or internally laying are not uncommon. Salpingitis can cause lash material to build up inside, which could possibly feel like an egg. You can give calcium citrate +D (citracal), 400 mg daily to see if it helps her pass anything. Does her abdomen feel bloated?
Hi - thanks for replying! She is about 2 and a half years old. I'm not entirely sure when she last laid normally - it was at least over a week ago because that's when I took her in.

Her abdomen does feel a bit bloated and a bit harder than last I felt. Does dosage for chickens change based on size for calcium? She's a rhode island red, around 4.6/4.8 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom